steel shim head gaskets ?

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
Are steel shim head gaskets made of embossed steel like they are described as or are they made with a composite material like felpros?
I've seen a pair on the internet saying they were the steel shim gaskets but they looked like they were composite like felpros. this image is for a 273 head gasket and it does not look like a steel shim gasket at all . what gives?

s-l400.jpg

If it's a shim gasket, in fact a metal gasket such as Cometic makes then it damn sure MUST be embossed. That is what makes the gasket seal.

When talking copper gaskets...that's a horse of a different feather. They are not embossed and you must use an o-ring to seal the combustion chambers. To do it correctly, you run the o-ring wire in the head and cut a receiver groove in the block.

Other than that, a shim gasket must be embossed. If not, it will not seal.

If it's a shim gasket, in fact a metal gasket such as Cometic makes then it damn sure MUST be embossed. That is what makes the gasket seal.

When talking copper gaskets...that's a horse of a different feather. They are not embossed and you must use an o-ring to seal the combustion chambers. To do it correctly, you run the o-ring wire in the head and cut a receiver groove in the block.

Other than that, a shim gasket must be embossed. If not, it will not seal.
we used to run .020 thick steel shim gaskets on the old hemi car, "one layer steel w/ embossing."

Here's the P4120094 composite gaskets. Looks like they may still be available through Jegs. They are about .028 thick with a .024 compressed thickness. Probably one of the thinnest you you will find on the planet.
20180405_084947.jpg
20180405_085013.jpg
20180405_085020.jpg
20180405_085100.jpg

Are steel shim head gaskets made of embossed steel like they are described as or are they made with a composite material like felpros?
I've seen a pair on the internet saying they were the steel shim gaskets but they looked like they were composite like felpros. this image is for a 273 head gasket and it does not look like a steel shim gasket at all . what gives?

View attachment 1715160936

What gives? the head gasket in your picture is NOT a steel shim gasket!

What gives? the head gasket in your picture is NOT a steel shim gasket!
yes, that is a composite gasket , not a tin metal shim . seller has it described wrong . but it is a correct number for 273 though. probally aftermarket then .

Yep. That's what is available nowdays. The difference between a steel shim and a composite gasket and the larger bore replacements as far as compression goes might be 2/10ths of a point. Not enough to be concerned about. The steel gaskets haven't been made for decades. They are not available. Period! No sense in @stroker402 dwelling on something that can't be controlled.

Yep. That's what is available nowdays. The difference between a steel shim and a composite gasket and the larger bore replacements as far as compression goes might be 2/10ths of a point. Not enough to be concerned about. The steel gaskets haven't been made for decades. They are not available. Period! No sense in @stroker402 dwelling on something that can't be controlled.
NOS ..... I found some NOS gaskets , don't know for sure if they are metal or composite and the bore is one step up to a 3.91 bore . waiting to here back for these people.

NOS ..... I found some NOS gaskets , don't know for sure if they are metal or composite and the bore is one step up to a 3.91 bore . waiting to here back for these people.
Just make sure they are steel and not composite. Make sure they mic them for thickness. Make sure they measure the bore size. Make sure you get photos. Make sure they are in fact NOS and not used. (there should be a package or Mopar Parts tag.

Yep. That's what is available nowdays. The difference between a steel shim and a composite gasket and the larger bore replacements as far as compression goes might be 2/10ths of a point. Not enough to be concerned about. Mr. Gasket 1121G Head Gasket -

Heck....... that's all? 2/10ths. If so , I'll go back to the mr gasket again. with the 10.5:1 compression engine I'm building , I little drop in compression will be more friendly at the gas pumps.

Just make sure they are steel and not composite. Make sure they mic them for thickness. Make sure they measure the bore size. Make sure you get photos. Make sure they are in fact NOS and not used. (there should be a package or Mopar Parts tag.
will do Mike .

Mike if the compression drop is only 2/10ths from stock 10.5:1 to a mr gasket 1121g a bore size of 4.17 , Heck............ I'll just use those again to lower the compression a little it for todays fuel.

Here is a new set if bought from a member here. These "look like" 1121G but there are no markings. Lemme know if interested. Approx .0485 UNcompressed and 4.14 bore. I went with new std thickness Felpro.
Here's a Jegs link:Mopar Performance P4120094: Cylinder Head Gaskets Chrysler 318/340/360 LA | JEGS
The Mr. Gasket ones are very similar except for color.

20180405_112928.jpg

20180405_113001.jpg

Gasket City out of Canada carries steel shim because I got 2 for my slant six rebuild.

Here is a new set if bought from a member here. These "look like" 1121G but there are no markings. Lemme know if interested. Approx .0485 UNcompressed and 4.14 bore. I went with new std thickness Felpro.

YEP ! THOSE WILL WORK ON 273

View attachment 1715161285

View attachment 1715161286

View attachment 1715161285

View attachment 1715161286

I was just at the Dodge store picking up stuff.
I had him run P4120094. Description on computer only states "gasket". He printed off the page from MP catalog, says composite.
I picked up my MP #P4349557 head gaskets while there. These are actually Felpro #1008. And the only hipo head gaskets Felpro makes for sbm.
Apparently the only way to get them as a pair too.

20180405_152827.jpg

20180405_153418.jpg

I got a call back from another source on the gasket.. did not have the 273 gasket with 3.625 . no composite or metal shims for 273 .

-
Back