Steering column issues with headers!!

-

951mopar

Reaction score
A short back ground. I am in the process of buttoning up a 360 magnum install in 1967 Dart GT. I took the steering column out in order to paint the engine bay and paint the column. I also swapped the power steering for a manual box. I have the FFI adapter to convert the PS column to manual. Everything is in as far as the engine goes the headers are on and the exhaust is all hooked up. I attempted to install the steering column and I got it to hooked up to the box, but the coupler and the bottom side of the column were touching the header pipe. They are Dougs header.

The engine I replaced was a 318 nothing special, could the new 360 EQ heads be that much wider to have the headers touch the column? Is there a solution? I am looking in to changing the coupler to the flaming river adapter as a solution. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

I've read that sometimes shims are needed under the motor mounts.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I cut back the column 3" and put a bearing in. I had to sleeve the column with exhaust pipe to get the outer diameter I wanted. Same deal as you. 340 with dougs headers.

The bottom side of the column is touching?
I think that rules out shimming the engine; on the stock mounts,the engine can only go up.
Some fellows have shortened the outer sleeve.
The FFI coupler can be shelved, and the downrod yanked out a little further. I did that 125,000miles ago. The column can be shifted downwards on it's mounts with shimming. For me,(fat legs)the column got too low. Since I kept my P/S the easy solution was a smaller steering wheel, and XR-7 seats.
Good luck.

View attachment 1714940615 View attachment 1714940614 I cut back the column 3" and put a bearing in. I had to sleeve the column with exhaust pipe to get the outer diameter I wanted. Same deal as you. 340 with dougs headers.
So you cut the column outer housing back 3". I do not understand the sleeving part did you go narrower from the column to have clearance. Pics are hard to see.

The bottom side of the column is touching?
I think that rules out shimming the engine; on the stock mounts,the engine can only go up.
Some fellows have shortened the outer sleeve.
The FFI coupler can be shelved, and the downrod yanked out a little further. I did that 125,000miles ago. The column can be shifted downwards on it's mounts with shimming. For me,(fat legs)the column got too low. Since I kept my P/S the easy solution was a smaller steering wheel, and XR-7 seats.
Good luck.
Im going to take it a part tonight and look at taking some of the outer sleeve out. As for the coupler I'm looking at u joints just trying to find the right one. Flaming river is pricey, but I do not see anything else.

I think the sleeve was to adapt the bearing he used ,to the existing outer sleeve.

Personally, I would not put a bearing down there. I believe it defeats the purpose of the collapsing column, which is to not drive the column into your chest in the event of a collision.
Keep in mind that the factory used nothing more than a chunk of plastic, whivh barely keeps spiders out.
I would slice the tubing off in a heart-beat, and just plug it to keep; water,wind and bugs out.
Some guys have cut out just enough of the sleeve to get clearance and then welded a patch on, to box it back in.
Some guys,like me, just put a correct-size dent in the brand new header.
Good luck
PS, IMO u-joints are nice but............. I, that's me, would just yank the steering shaft down. The shaft you see, fits inside a similarly shaped tube that continues all the way up. The two of them are part of the collapsing column system. They overlap for,IDK, maybe 14 inches? they are secured in this position by a couple of plastic pins that prevent them from falling apart on the assembly-line. A little tap and the pins shear. Pulling the bottom shaft down just gives the system extra room to collapse. The reduced overlap means nothing bad to me.
However if the factory coupler(an excellent design,IMO), doesn't fit in the allotted space, well, that's another matter.
Or if you just want or like the u-joints, that's a great solution too; Just waaay too much work for me. Call me a redneck, or hillbilly, or flat out lazy but .............insert favorite come-back here.................................

Last edited:
-
Back