Steering column questions

-

67dartGTconvertible

Reaction score
I bought a 68 dart non column shift power steering column at the time for the crack free steering wheel that was attached to it. The steering shaft was frozen/stuck to the housing. I pulled the wheel and when I push the steering shaft out the column cowl came off. I managed to get the shaft to turn in the housing and the get the shaft out but I do not know if I shortened the shaft all. It is 37” long.

The car needing a steering column is a 67 dart that is getting a b big block and will have manual steering. Should I buy a good/working manual steering column and use the cowl if the one I get is a column shift or does this look like it is worth cleaning up and rebuilding.. recommendations on getting an adapter or buying longer manual steering shaft. Thanks

IMG_1679.jpeg

What part are you calling the cowl.

I have a column shift manual column and a console shift power column.

I can get measurements for you.

Right now the shafts are assembled.

My plan is to convert the power console shift column over to manual by using the steering shaft from the manual column shift.

What I meant by cowl is collar assembly thing at the top of the column where the one piece contains the turn signal switch and is cast aluminum? And the other piece is formed steel and is just a cover for looks.

Assuming you did not damage the steering shaft or the shifter shaft or any of the cast parts (cowl) clean it and put it back together.

As for the length... I can get you the stock shifter length, and a dimension on the steering shaft but not end to end

Thanks. I was stressed that I may have shortened the shaft getting the column apart making it so nothing would fit when installing it in the car.

It looks like I can install the column and the steering box and Steel 3/4DD X 3/4-36
If the shaft does not quite reach I can weld an extension to the end of the shaft.

-
Back