Steering coupler drift pin question

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
Does anyone know what size the Steering coupler drift pin is? I had my column out and lost the pin. :BangHead: . Already had bought the kit and don't know what I did with the old one. I even had a spare kit somewhere but can't find that either. I think I swept it up last week not realizing I had dropped it.

a CH bigger than a 318 2bbl pushrod.

(all kidding aside, i believe it to be 5/16")

Last edited:
Came out of a 69 Barracuda with manual steering or a 67 dart with power steering.

A #10 drill bit goes down the inside of the pin with ease

A #6 drill bit goes in a 1/4 inch then stops

It used a 5/16 roll pin punch.

@dadsbee nailed it!

PXL_20240416_134728324.jpg
PXL_20240416_134809215.jpg
PXL_20240416_134911870.jpg

PXL_20240416_135028261.jpg

I thought he was referring to the solid pin that presses through the end of the shaft.

Part of description (This assortment of roll pins is suitable for a variety of jobs, including automotive, industrial and household tasks. With a heat treated spring steel construction for durability, these roll pins are designed for a long service life. )
Picked up and took one and put in vice and smashed it quite a bit. Very strong piece. Hardened steel very thick. Just don't see it breaking. When I find my other (new) kit I can replace it.

I can see buying a disposable tool from HF, but a roll pin that could potentially fail and kill you?????

Just saying!
the pin only locates the coupler to the splined input shaft and prevents fore and aft movement. if that breaks you have way, way bigger problems.

steering shaft to shoe pin, yeah, different story.

-
Back