Steering Gear Re-Build

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
Here in Michigan we had a local steering gear re-builder called Harry's Steering Gears unfortunately they went out of business a few years back, so I was looking for someone new. There was no one locally and every one I looked up was rather expensive along with shipping costs and return shipping costs. I went to Rock Auto and they have what was known as R&R steering gears where you ship your gear through Rock Auto to Lares they re-build it and ship your gear back to you. This process was about half the cost of sending it any where else. Since they deal with Lares I thought I would give it a try and I am glad I did. $163.49 along with just under $10.00 for return shipping so say $173.49 all together. I received it back yesterday and it looks great, and the turn around time was less than two weeks. I called Lares first to see if it would be better for me to send it directly to them and the Lares guy told me it would be more expensive for me to send it to them as apposed to sending through Rock Auto, also shipping it with the Rock Auto shipping labels was the best way to go. So if anybody is looking to get there gear re-done I advise this rout.
Bob

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

If @sgrip65 checks in, he might comment on his steering gear rebuild through Rock Auto’s vendor (not sure if it was Lares or someone else)

I used Steer and Gear out of Columbus OH. I turned my 65 PS in to them at Carlisle and picked it back up at the Nationals so saving on shipping both ways. They rebuilt it to their modern feel Stage III. Looking forward to installing it in my 65 Dart. Firm Feel out on the west coast also does it.

I get that it's a little late now, but the factory service manuals detail the CRAP out of rebuilding steering gears. It's not hard to do and requires no special tools.

I used Steer and Gear out of Columbus OH. I turned my 65 PS in to them at Carlisle and picked it back up at the Nationals so saving on shipping both ways. They rebuilt it to their modern feel Stage III. Looking forward to installing it in my 65 Dart. Firm Feel out on the west coast also does it.

I bought a Lares through Rock, and I was disappointed. It seemed over boosted driving on wet ice.....my opinion. Thereafter, with advice from @65 Dartman, I bought a Stage III from Steer and Cear in Co,umbus. Very Happy with the way it drives. Recommended. Thanks. sgrip65

-
Back