Steering joint

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
I'm replacing the stock steering joint with a u joint style. 5/8 36 spline. The new one is said to be 5/8 36 spline but It wont slid on. Any tips on getting it to slid on. it's a power steering gear box

Last edited:
I'm replacing the stock steering joint with a u joint style. 5/8 36 spline. The new one is said to be 5/8 36 spline but It wont slid on. Any tips on getting it to slid on. 2
Is this for a power or manual box?

Ok that sounds right then. I know manual Is 3/4
Should it slide of or tap it on. I cant see I it would need to be tapped on. is there a difference between a GM and a dodge 5/8 36 spine? may I got a GM and not a mopar

Should it slide of or tap it on. I cant see I it would need to be tapped on. is there a difference between a GM and a dodge 5/8 36 spine? may I got a GM and not a mopar
I'm not sure about the gm and mopar? 36 spline should be 36 spline!
Yes they are tight! Mine was extremely tight getting it off!

Silly question maybe but... Master splines aligned? If the aftermarket female doesn't have a master spline provision, you will need to file away the master spline on the male, then hunt proper steering wheel center/alignment.
OEM box couplings usually start back on pretty easy then need some wiggle and bump to pass undercut for pin.

Silly question maybe but... Master splines aligned? If the aftermarket female doesn't have a master spline provision, you will need to file away the master spline on the male, then hunt proper steering wheel center/alignment.
OEM box couplings usually start back on pretty easy then need some wiggle and bump to pass undercut for pin.
As far as I can tell there is no key/ master spline. the original didnt have one and nor does the after market. But I will double check again just to make sure.

As far as I can tell there is no key/ master spline. the original didnt have one and nor does the after market. But I will double check again just to make sure.
I've never seen a OEM assembly that didn't have a master spline. Center the steering gear, wheel pointed straight ahead, master spline right there on the top. OEM box couplings have a tiny V notch cut into the outer edge marking their master spline location inside.

double check what the joint is for as the GM 36spline IS different than the MOPAR 36spline

Ujoint steering.jpg

I'm replacing the stock steering joint with a u joint style. 5/8 36 spline. The new one is said to be 5/8 36 spline but It wont slid on. Any tips on getting it to slid on. it's a power steering gear box
The question is why. This connection is designed with plunge like all cars of the era. The upper bearing was not designed for a solid joint.

-
Back