Steering Shaft Removal/Replacement

-

cpreal

66 Slant Fish
Reaction score
I'm going from manual steering to Borgeson power steering on my '66 Barracuda. Slant 6, column-shifted auto. I have a replacement steering shaft from a power steering column. Do I have to remove the entire column to replace the shaft or can this be done with the column in place? I'd prefer to not have to disassemble the entire column first.

yes , that's how I always did it anyway. Just did one last week changing over from a column shift auto with manual box to a non column automatic / 4 speed column with manual box .There is lots going on up top ,a bearing ,cir clip, and so on and that big coupling on the bottom .It's a 5 or 10 minute job to pull the thing out of the car .You may be able to do it with it in but it will take longer and be harder for sure.

If the K-member is out of the car, you can change the center steering shaft with the column in the car. Otherwise, pull the steering wheel, then the column assembly, remove the upper snap ring and slide out the center shaft. Remember to put a new lower seal in before you re-assemble. Take care when trying to seat the new shaft against the bearing. It's tempting to hammer it in so the snap ring will go right on, but, if you get carried away, you can damage the retainer plate and/or the turn signal switch. Grease the shaft and try to get it started in the bearing square so it slides in without much effort. You can always pull the retainer, switch and bearing too, but it usually isn't necessary unless you need to lube the bearing.

So a press is not required to reinstall the top bearing? How is the column shift linkage disconnected under the hood? The 66 manual is not very clear.

The linkage can be removed right at the lower column lever by removing a clip and pulling the linkage rod off. There is probably a washer and bushing there too, so, don't lose those. No press is needed on the bearing. It's a push fit. Just clean any burrs off the bearing surface of the shaft and put some grease on it so it slides in easily.

Before you start, make sure the E-brake is on and the wheels are chocked.....or the car is up on stands.

Before you start, make sure the E-brake is on and the wheels are chocked.....or the car is up on stands.
Thanks for your replies! I appreciate it. My dad was a career mechanic and knows all things Mopar. He’s always been my advisor but he’s getting up in years and is not as sharp as he used to be. Here’s my setup for reference:

2F35BA60-733E-4009-8693-45F4413F1442.jpeg

I’m hoping that the ps shaft will not have to be cut. I’ve heard various reports that only the 66 manual shaft will need to be shortened. We shall see. I’ll measure carefully.

Yup, should be real easy with a /6 in there. Knock that roll pin out of the coupler to release the coupler from the input shaft of the steering gear. You might need to put a slight pry on the coupler to convince it that it's a push-on part! That shaft and coupler has some value, especially if the coupler stays intact, so, don't blow it apart or toss it away.

I’m also in San Diego. I want to bring the Barracuda to the Spring Fling next year.

-
Back