Steering suddenly pulls to right, is really touchy

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Hey guys, 74 Dart 4 door, /6 auto, power steering.
Driving home from work yesterday, drove over a block of wood that was hidden in the grass. Looked underneath, didn't find any damage. Then as we drove home, the driver says 'look at this' and lets go of the wheel and it veers to the right. So he is putting pressure on the left, then the car suddenly veers to the left. So.. is this signs of a faulty steering box?

Hey guys, 74 Dart 4 door, /6 auto, power steering.
Driving home from work yesterday, drove over a block of wood that was hidden in the grass. Looked underneath, didn't find any damage. Then as we drove home, the driver says 'look at this' and lets go of the wheel and it veers to the right. So he is putting pressure on the left, then the car suddenly veers to the left. So.. is this signs of a faulty steering box?

Sounds like the valve inside the steering box is sticking and not centering correctly. The wood may have been a coincidence.

Terry

Might be something knocked loose and moving. Upper arm shifting will do that.
GM would toss a shim pack and do the same.

Alright, thanks guys. Anything I can do for a quick fix to drive to work safely? Or perhaps anything easily accessible to check to see if broken or moved? I'll check the upper control arms, anything else to look at?

Could also be the lca anchor tube in the xmemeber has broken loose.
I had it happen on a Duster many years ago.
The car would dart right or left for no apparent reason.
Running over something could have been the last straw for a fatigued weld.

Alright, thanks guys. Anything I can do for a quick fix to drive to work safely? Or perhaps anything easily accessible to check to see if broken or moved? I'll check the upper control arms, anything else to look at?

Check both tie rod sleeves closely for bends. They should be perfectly straight......

If one is bent.....could be causing your "darting" both ways due to the toe setting being way off. :cheers:

-
Back