Steering Wheel Removal

-

SharpDart71

Reaction score
Hi all

I've searched on here but couldn't find any threads.

Looking to replace my 71 Swinger steering wheel with a Grant i received as a gift. Thinking I may need a spacer as well. Are there any good quality instructions or videos out there on how to do so?

Thanks

Hi all

I've searched on here but couldn't find any threads.

Looking to replace my 71 Swinger steering wheel with a Grant i received as a gift. Thinking I may need a spacer as well. Are there any good quality instructions or videos out there on how to do so?

Thanks
You will need the Grant install kit. Instructions will be with it. Summit-Jegs

Easiest way to remove the existing wheel is to use a puller.

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if there's any certain way as to not ruin horn connections...etc. I did get the installation kit parts with it

Alternative to a store bought puller... The OEM wheel has 2 threaded holes ( 5/16 fine thread? I forget ). Measure their center to center distance and drill similar 3/8 holes in a block of steel. Something like 1 inch wide, 1&1/2 long, 1/4 or more thickness. Use this and a couple of bolts to draw the wheel off the shaft.

you can rent the puller for free at auto zone or similar. don't be like me and forget to return it and now have a use once in 5 years tool. haha

Alternative to a store bought puller... The OEM wheel has 2 threaded holes ( 5/16 fine thread? I forget ). Measure their center to center distance and drill similar 3/8 holes in a block of steel. Something like 1 inch wide, 1&1/2 long, 1/4 or more thickness. Use this and a couple of bolts to draw the wheel off the shaft.

x2

-
Back