Steering wheel size.

-

71valiant

Make fast, break, repeat.
Reaction score
Ive got a 67 Valiant small block, manual steering, 15 inch wheels (currently). I want to switch from the stock steering wheel to an aftermarket. The one I'm looking at is 13 5/8 O.D. How much of a bear would this be on my steering feel at low speeds?

With a 24:1 manual box it will still be very easy to steer, even with a good size front tire.

Ok, I'm eventually looking to go to a 17 inch wheel. Just wanted to be sure before I made the purchase.

Ok, I'm eventually looking to go to a 17 inch wheel. Just wanted to be sure before I made the purchase.

As in, 17" wheels and tires and not a 17" steering wheel right? :D

The diameter of the rims isn't going to make a difference in the effort it takes to turn the steering wheel. Changing the overall height of the tire, width of the tire, or tire compound will though. And of course all of those things could change if you go to 17" rims, so it just depends on what you do with your tire choices. Regardless, with a 24:1 steering box it shouldn't be a problem.

As in, 17" wheels and tires and not a 17" steering wheel right? :D

The diameter of the rims isn't going to make a difference in the effort it takes to turn the steering wheel. Changing the overall height of the tire, width of the tire, or tire compound will though. And of course all of those things could change if you go to 17" rims, so it just depends on what you do with your tire choices. Regardless, with a 24:1 steering box it shouldn't be a problem.

Lol. Yeah. as in wheels and tires. :D If and when I go 17's I'll definitely go wider, which will make it a bit harder I'm sure. But with the tire height I have now, with what I plan to go to will yield more wheel, but less tire, so that may be a wash.

I run a 16:1 manual steering box with 275/35/18's up front and a 14" reproduction Tuff wheel. Once you're going more than 10mph it's no big deal. Slower than that and steering inputs can get a little difficult, but it's not so bad that I intend to change anything. I just try to line up my park jobs right the first time :D.

With 17" diameter rims you won't be able to get to a 275 in the front, and with a 24:1 box you shouldn't have too much trouble.

I think it all depends on where you go. If you never get into tight maneuvering at a cruise-in ( my experience reflected there ) or need to parallel park, no worries.

I've parallel parked my car multiple times with the 16:1 steering and 275's up front. It's not something I look forward to, but it's not like it's impossible. And as my daily driver it's always getting parked at the grocery store, work, and other various parking lots when I'm running errands. Most of the parking lots around here must have been designed for cute little compact cars, because they're all pretty tight.

Last edited:
-
Back