Steps for painting this? ??

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
Sorry for not being an A-body but this is my father/son project I'm needing some help with. After I remove everything from this firewall what are the steps to painting it? Definitely not a show vehicle but I want it to look pretty decent. Do I just clean it up good then run a DA sander and shoot it with body color or ??? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG950443.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 256
IMO, you're on the right track with your prep. Are you changing color? Look carefully at what's there now. Note runs and "bald" spots (like the seam under the firewall). Imagine it with a fresh coat of paint. If you're changing color, imagine a shiny coat of the new color. The tendency is to take it down to bare metal and try to shoot a perfect coat. The factory guys tended to whiz through it making sure things were covered but not to the standards of the outer body. They knew an engine would be in there that would be blowing road trash and its oil from its own leaks.

IMO, it does not take a lot of skill to paint a vacant engine compartment largely because of the runs and bald spots I've seen in them. That's why I painted the underhood and trunk interior on my Demon and had a pro shoot the body. If I can do it, surely you can.
Do make sure that every area you're going to spray is free of dirt and dust. The stuff looks like what it is just covered with paint. Try to use paint from the same mix as the body to retain consistent color. The paint stock used to make the underhood paint should be the same as used on the body. If this is not possible, get enough to do the entire underhood area to retain the same color. (When I say color, think shade and hue, not red and yellow.)

Yeah I'm going back with the same color... Sounds like some good advice 2 Darts.. Thanks...

Great advise. Imagine how awesome it will look when your finished.

Sorry for not being an A-body but this is my father/son project I'm needing some help with. After I remove everything from this firewall what are the steps to painting it? Definitely not a show vehicle but I want it to look pretty decent. Do I just clean it up good then run a DA sander and shoot it with body color or ??? Thanks in advance

When you finish removing the hardware degrease (solvent wipe) the area you are intending to paint. There are several brands available. Next wash the area with soap and water then blow dry, sand the area with minumum of 320 - 400 grit on a DA and hand sand areas you can't reach with the DA, blow off the dust, wipe with clean cloth, prime any bare metal and let dry, sand the primer with minumum 400, then do a thorough solvent pre-clean with the appropriate solvent, then topcoat with the paint of your choice. Apply 1st coat and let it flash off, apply the second coat and let flash, if a third coat is needed hit it again, clear coat if you have it.

Please take proper precautions while you are sanding, priming, or painting. I can't stress this enough.

I hope this helps. PM me if you need more detail.

Good Luck with your project.

:glasses7:

-
Back