Sticky throttle on my 225 1970 duster

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Just got the duster a few days ago and haven't driven it except home and then up and down the street a couple times. I did get the engine running real nice and smooth but the throttle is sticky. Sometimes it will return but not all the way, leaving it idling fast (but I do not believe it is getting hung up on the fast idle cam). Other times it will just not return.

The throttle spring is there, but maybe it's just worn out. I will replace it anyway, when I have time on Tuesday. What else do I check to see if there might be another problem?

Previous owner claimed he had carb work done recently, but the mixture screw was turned all the way in and the idle set way high. So yeah maybe someone worked on it but that doesn't mean they did a good job. But the car does seem to run very well now that I have adjusted the idle and mixture.

I didn't think about that at first but being familiar with cable throttles on motorcycles, the symptoms seem the same now that you mention it. That's probably the problem, thanks.

I have a throttle pedal assembly with cable from a 73" dart with a /6 if you could use it let me know.

Thanks, but I imagine I only need the cable, and I'd rather use a brand new one, so unless for some reason I can't get one or it is prohibitively expensive I will pass on your offer.

I used my motorcycle cable luber on a tranny kickdown cable not so long ago. Worked great -- I think if you're willing to spend the bucks on a new cable that's even better.

It could still be your carb. You might also want to look at some of the setups that use dual return springs -- one nested inside the other.

-
Back