Still not There!

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
:angry7:
Well, I ran at the Mopars at the Motorplex yesterday, and still cannot get into the 11's. I ran 12.105 @ 113MPH. 60' is still 1.85. Plugs looked like I just took them out of the box when new after 2 runs. Fuel pressure on the first run dropped to 3 PSI when I shifted to 3rd gear. I put more fuel in the car and it cured that problem. Oh yeah, I have -8 AN fuel line from pickup to Aeromotive pump, to regulator. -6 fuel line from regulator to carb. Would bigger squirters in my 750 QF double pumper help?

Thanks Again,
Darren

408 w/eddy heads, M1 Single plane intake, Hughes Roller, 305 duration, .568/.560 lift, TTI headers,Quick Fuel DP 750, MSD Ready to Run ignition, 3800 Dynamic conv., 998 trans., .411 gears, M/T ET Streets 275/60. It seems that it just waits for a split second, and then, "Turns on". That is the only way I can describe it in words. Any ideas, suggestions?

408 w/eddy heads, M1 Single plane intake, Hughes Roller, 305 duration, .568/.560 lift, TTI headers,Quick Fuel DP 750, MSD Ready to Run ignition, 3800 Dynamic conv., 998 trans., .411 gears, M/T ET Streets 275/60. It seems that it just waits for a split second, and then, "Turns on". That is the only way I can describe it in words. Any ideas, suggestions?

Oh yeah, '68 Barracuda Notchback with S/S springs and KYB's.

I would look at the timing first. I'd want it all in (34deg's) by 2000 (max). At this point, I wouldn't suspect the carb. Possibly a 50cc pump for the front, if the ignition varification dosen't wake it up. You've got a good package. Was the cam centre-lined?

Yes, I degreed the cam. I even played with the timing, and it still likes 22 degrees initial, however my total probably needs tweaking.

what size of pickup do you have in the tank? If your plugs are white and you have low fuel pressure it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Hope you have a 1/2" pickup in the tank.

Hey it's Aaron, I was the kid with the two guys that had the green 'cuda and black '68 charger next to your notchback talking to you about my 360 engine for my duster. I must say you had one nasty lil' car lol. I liked watching it go down the track, it was pretty sweet !!

Hello Aaron. Thanks for the nice compliment! I know you will have an awesome ride as well, just make sure you stick to that college commitment, and you will have a much nicer ride than mine! Patience pays off in life, and by what you told me as to what you have already, you're off to a great start.

If your plugs are not showing any color after two runs you are running way lean. Fatten that sucker up!

What jets are you presently running?

I had 74 in front and 84 in back. That's what it came with from Quick Fuel. I haven't checked the plugs yet, but I went 76 in front and 86 in back and made one more run, no change in MPH, however it was a botched run anyway as I accidentally tripped the lights off the line and just went.

So your jetting is OK. Some spark plugs are impossible to check jetting ie nonrace version Autolites. I would try bigger squirters and see if that helps.

I'd go back to the 74/84 next time your at the track, run a couple baseline runs, then go up to 78/88 and see if your mph increases and check all 8 of your plugs.

You may have to adjust for fuel distribution too.

Have you had someone film your start? Sometimes wheelspin is hard to feel.

I would work on that 1.85 60 ft time,are you spinning to much or is the car leaving soft? try air pressure adjustments , also, i have found some converters like to be hit hard, as in hittting it from a high idle (12 -1500 rpms) verses power braking it . one tenth at the 60ft will give you 2 tenths at the end ...you are loosing 2 tenths or more at the tree...try to work on one thing at a time ,and keep track of the changes -results, so you car see what works and what doesnt. if you get that 60ft down the mph at the end will come up also.....lots of trial and error...good luck

I would work on that 1.85 60 ft time,are you spinning to much or is the car leaving soft? try air pressure adjustments , also, i have found some converters like to be hit hard, as in hittting it from a high idle (12 -1500 rpms) verses power braking it . one tenth at the 60ft will give you 2 tenths at the end ...you are loosing 2 tenths or more at the tree...try to work on one thing at a time ,and keep track of the changes -results, so you car see what works and what doesnt. if you get that 60ft down the mph at the end will come up also.....lots of trial and error...good luck

I think this could be part of the problem. The harder I load the converter, the worse my '60 foot seems to get. I think I will try to launch at 1500 again, instead of 2200. I was also thinking of going to a bigger squirter if not bigger carb.

Hey it's Aaron, I was the kid with the two guys that had the green 'cuda and black '68 charger next to your notchback talking to you about my 360 engine for my duster. I must say you had one nasty lil' car lol. I liked watching it go down the track, it was pretty sweet !!
This green Cuda?

4-30028.jpg

4-30029.jpg
4-30016.jpg

No, that's not the 'cuda. Actually we were just on the left side of that Grim Reaper trailer and I think about 2 spots or so to the left of that cuda. It was a light kinda metallic green cuda.

No, that's not the 'cuda. Actually we were just on the left side of that Grim Reaper trailer and I think about 2 spots or so to the left of that cuda. It was a light kinda metallic green cuda.

I had do go to woik and missed it!

Is that your 'cuda ?
Nope! Its Roy's.It otta be a monster after he gets some shocks.He was leaving
@3,000 and shiftin @6400.Thats the only way to get the thing down the track.He webt out 2nd round when the took the cross stage off.1st round and time trials it was on.He said he ran the same as Friday night 8.92@153mph

Holy Cow! I may have found the culprit to my pitiful 60 ft. times. My friend at work asked me what springs I used on my MSD. I told him I didn't change anything. He said I need to pull the cap and rotor and compare the springs to the springs that came inside the distr. The springs that were in there were HUGE compared to the set of blue and silver springs. The only analogy I can describe is like the difference between a quarter and a dime. Could this be my culprit?

I would run a 850 dp holly, first off, I agree with len also.forget initial,its always total on a performance engine. if ya have the digital actron light thats a nice unit. If not have a helper sit in the car and watch tach, use an adjustable timing light and give it some rpm,while idleing up notice when the damper stops moving,now adjust your timing light at this point. this will tell you when actual full advance is coming in. If it goes beyond 35 degrees at more than 2000 rpm you need to change your advance curve. what converter your running really has no bearing on the subject.fine tune it until you have 35 degrees full advance in, thats mechanical and spark advance by no more than 2000 rpm at 35 degrees for a dual purpose car. if its full race most are locked in by 1200 rpm.you want a light brownish color on plugs so you may be running a lil lean.I guarantee you 11s by doing the timing correctly ,and even more with a bigger carb, 35 degrees by 2000 rpm will give you an added 60 some degrees spark advance and the engine WILL respond to this.no, it will not make your car hard to start with your combination as the spark advance in the distributor when starting the car actually retards the ignition. better to run a lil rich than lean for sure.give it a try and let us know the time after you set the timing properly, FORGET INITIAL. its always total, if your way off you may be surprised to see 3 or 4 10ths improvement. Also try different shift points and diffrent launch rpms for the best 60 ft time.I guarantee with the timing done right its gonna be a fire breathing son of a gun and put you well into the 11s. if you run vacuum advance its a completely different procedure so if you do just ask. hope this helps you out.Im quite sure it will.

now switch springs and use the above procedure for reference. when you fire it up youll feel that sucker rev like a chainsaw

Dam! Thanks dude. That's what I will do when I get home! Going to Ennis Motorplex this weekend. I replaced the bushing in the MSD with the black bushing, and I have total right now @ 38 degrees, and I have no vacuum advance. I also have 80 jets up front and 88's in back on my QF D.P. Yeah, I think I need a bigger carb, like you said.

-
Back