stock 66 charging system?

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
it seems that my alt will only charge at a high rpm, or while driving at a faster speed thoughts....its a stock early charging system with the regulator on the firewall

Because it probably has the 36 amp alternator, and even at higher rpm will only put out 36 amps, significantly less at lower rpm! A change in your charging system is recommended! You can run the newer style voltage regulator with a simple change of the plug, upgrade to the squareback alternator to a 60amp unit, and eliminate the dim lights and weak output! To change the alternator is an easy job as well, with adding another field wire for the 2nd field terminal and splicing it into the blue wire on the ballast resistor the only additional work needed!

The car hasn't always had a low voltage problem. It worked just fine when it was new. Voltage drop occurs at aged weakened connections, bulkhead, amp gauge, etc...
Throwing a higher voltage at the system will hide the actual issue.

How is the belt tension? Have you measured the battery voltage, and voltage at IGN terminal of regulator with engine running,headlights on and engine idle, and at 2000 RPM. That gives information to help us solve your problem.

The car hasn't always had a low voltage problem. It worked just fine when it was new. Voltage drop occurs at aged weakened connections, bulkhead, amp gauge, etc...
Throwing a higher voltage at the system will hide the actual issue.

Yes, I would be in remiss not to preach my favorite sermon...connections, connections, connections!!! Clean every connection in your electrical, it's free and will give you the best chance at running at your peak!!

Clean is good, but after 5 disconnects/connects a Packard 56 is worn out. At the age these cars are, terminal replacement with plated terminals buys more years. The original unplated are often brittle.

thanks I will get the info asap
The OEM type mechanical voltage regulator can be a player in the low voltage issue too. That exact OEM design may or may not be available today. A modern solid state regulator designed to maintain a slightly higher system voltage is readily available. Google VR128
Also, when checking wire connections, don't ignore the grounds, battery ground to block, chassis ground jumper from engine block to firewall.

-
Back