Stock antenna for a 64 Dart GT

-

redrag64

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of the original antenna for a 64 Dart GT? THANKS!

Ive seen a handfull that look just like that but have a spring on them to allow them to bend instead of break

Ive seen a handfull that look just like that but have a spring on them to allow them to bend instead of break

Okay, so I have an antena with a spring as described above. I was told that this is not correct for the car, but now I am not so sure. But if it is, how did it mount? I have a few random pieces that all seem to be related with the antena, but nothing seems to work together. When I bought the car, it was completely stripped down for paint. Not being that familiar, it has been like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. Please see the pictures and enlighten me if you can. THANKS![/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• DSCN6258.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCN6259.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN6260.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 221
Okay, so I have an antena with a spring as described above. I was told that this is not correct for the car, but now I am not so sure. But if it is, how did it mount? I have a few random pieces that all seem to be related with the antena, but nothing seems to work together. When I bought the car, it was completely stripped down for paint. Not being that familiar, it has been like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. Please see the pictures and enlighten me if you can. THANKS![/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I think you are missing something below the springy part of the antenna.

I think you are missing something below the springy part of the antenna.

I concur - now I just need to figure out what it looks like, and where I can find one! If anyone has any leads, please let me know. THANKS!

It looks like you are missing the correct mast and the correct nut. The correct mast has a provision for threading the nut down to clamp it all together.

I think MOLO's picture is correct for early A bodies. Last time I needed an antenna, I bought it at Radio Shack - they had one that looked close to original.

I think MOLO's picture is correct for early A bodies. Last time I needed an antenna, I bought it at Radio Shack - they had one that looked close to original.

I've got a Radio Shack right up the street - I'll check it out. THANKS.

The only thing that looks correct is your last photo showing the base and backing plate. The factory masts were solid....not springy

MILO's antenna looks correct for the 64. All"spring" antennas are after market and not correct. The original antenna is for AM radio so it has to be longer than modern antennas. The one on ebay is universal fit (some times it does) but is short-ok for FM but not good on AM.

I concur - now I just need to figure out what it looks like, and where I can find one! If anyone has any leads, please let me know. THANKS!

The part you are missing is the threaded end fixture of the antenna wire...either way the spring antenna is absolutely NOT correct for 64 in fact I believe the actual MAST was not round but tear drop shaped...however a round one is also considered correct Chrysler had both and both often made it to the same assy line...the first picture is correct and good luck if you think they are like #2 pencils....they are RARE and EXPENSIVE

After market from ebay it is! Thanks for all of your help.

This is a photo of an original 1964 A-body antenna from one of my cars. As you can see you have three of the pieces but you're missing the main piece. The mast with the spring was what folks installed after coming out from a football or basketball game after beating the opposing high school team. You could even pick one up at the Skelly or Standard gas station. Then if any of your mast was left you would saw it off just above the black plastic bushing, drive in a properly sized roll pin and place the springy replacement over the stub and secure it with the allen screw. Cheaper than a new antenna and you were insured for the next sporting event!
If you go to a wrecking yard and find an early sixties antenna which has been broken off you can probably pick it up for a song and then install your period correct fix.

Attachments

• DSC_0053.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 114
This is a photo of an original 1964 A-body antenna from one of my cars. As you can see you have three of the pieces but you're missing the main piece. The mast with the spring was what folks installed after coming out from a football or basketball game after beating the opposing high school team. You could even pick one up at the Skelly or Standard gas station. Then if any of your mast was left you would saw it off just above the black plastic bushing, drive in a properly sized roll pin and place the springy replacement over the stub and secure it with the allen screw. Cheaper than a new antenna and you were insured for the next sporting event!
If you go to a wrecking yard and find an early sixties antenna which has been broken off you can probably pick it up for a song and then install your period correct fix.

Your photo is exactly what I was looking for - THANKS!

-
Back