Stock Dana vs Powertrax Question

-

KP

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me want is different between a Dana OEM clutch type posi vs a lock right unit made by powertrax unit.

The powertrax unit is not an entire differential. It is intended to replace the side and spider gears in an open differnential. Also, the powertrax uses a ratcheting type mechnism to provide the differntial action.

Is the ratcheting type action better?

They are better for straight line acceleration but they are not as smooth in daily driving where you need the differntial action going around corners. From what I have read they are much better than the old Detroit Locker diffs that made a lot of noise.

Can anyone tell me want is different between a Dana OEM clutch type posi vs a lock right unit made by powertrax unit.

I'm posting this for everyone even though it's off subject.

Don't buy Auburn!

I had one installed in 2005 in my 03 Dodge Ram and it broke last week. I never abused it like I would a muscle car either.

Have you did any research about the Powertrax?

I think but not exactly sure that the Powertrax will make a popping noise while turning. The Auburn was a cone type that did not make any noise (until last week) while turning. The clutch type are quiet also while turning.

I had a Powertrax Lock Right unit in my Dart. Yeah it's definetly great for hole shots and straight line driving but for me it was to noisy when making a turn. The interlocking plates have to ratchet over themselves to allow for slip around corners and for me that was to noisy. Virtually indstructable though. I swapped mine out a Sure Grip which is more street friendly and quiet.

I had a Powertrax Lock Right unit in my Dart. Yeah it's definetly great for hole shots and straight line driving but for me it was to noisy when making a turn. The interlocking plates have to ratchet over themselves to allow for slip around corners and for me that was to noisy. Virtually indstructable though. I swapped mine out a Sure Grip which is more street friendly and quiet.

Is the Sure Grip what came stock in the unit? Does yours aways brake both tire loose at the same time?

My 8 3/4 was an open rear from the factory. The powertrax really did hook up both tires equally as apposed to the Sure Grip which isn't quite as equal right off the line as the powertrax but for the street it's okay. If I was just going to drag race the car I would have left the powertrax unit in it, but my car is a street driven car and I like the quieter ride.

Thanks Everyone,

Any one else care to comment?

-
Back