Stock Market

-
Mutual Funds -

Many folks get talked/researched into a "well diversified" Fund, what they don't get told/find is the Fund rules.
Lotta folks are down a ton, cuz of the Fund's Brokerage and Fund's Manager's cut get mosta/up -to (80%) of any profit first.

Rules .
Lotta funds aren't actively managed cuz they "have to be" either/or/and - fully invested, not allowed to short (make money in a down trend) or get out of the market when it's going down, - AND you're watching it sink .
"Active Managed Funds" - you kinda pay more, but someone is looking at the misc positions they hold in that fund hourly/daily, (not/weekly ?) - and are ALLOWED to do what their fiduciary responsibilities are, - protect your $$$ and get's them a bigger "bonus" .
Check what the "rules" of your Mutual Funds are - you may be shocked, - ask about actively managed and not.

On a side note . .
NVDA is going to announce earnings next week, they bought 30%? of a company a coupla weeks ago RXRX.
It shot up to $13 ish on that news, and has fallen back to $8 .
Purely for sport, I'm going to buy 100 shares, set a "stop" at about a dollar below what I get it for, it should sell there if it tanks, Im pretty sure NVDA has good earnings, and RXRX may pop, and see what happens.
I plan on selling next week ! !
I'll decide tmrw .
You can laff, I can cry, $100 loss won't kill me .
Do your own due diligence, any trade you make, the decision is your's, and your's alone .

Last edited:
Australia was known as the lucky country. It is now the stupid country. Has been for years. Some morons wanted to have a public holiday if some girls won the soccer finals. Not a holiday for our dedicated police or defence personnel who keep us safe & often pay the ultimate price.
The political party involved, the Labor Party, is akin to the US Democrats. Very good at spending other peoples money, but never earning it themselves.

The stock market reports in this country are always at the end of the news bulletins. How stupid. The stock market & where it is going; whether you will have a job in a few months time & if you can feed your family.

Palo Alto Networks PANW announced earnings tonight, pretty much knocked it out of the Park, up $20ish (9%) afterhours.
They are the Internet Security sector leader, and bodes well for next week.
Waiting on future guidance from co.
Didn't enter RXRX, sticking by my rule of cash over weekends, - in my trading accounts.
There should be a seasonal slowdown to be expected thru Sept.
Have a great weekend .
Cheers .

Screenshot_20230818-135347.png

Last edited:
PANW, Palo Alto Networks up $33, 15ish%+ today, RXRX following.
NVDA reports this week, last report, it had fantastic earnings, knocked it outta the park, and jumped $30 too.
I'm not expecting as good results, but NVDA is up a bunch ($20) today in anticipation.
Should be a great week.

Last edited:
My 401k has been killing it the last couple of months. Keep an eye on the stock market the next few months because things are looking up if you play your hand right.

@inertia

I really like Josh Brown. He has a youtube thing called the compound, IIRC. They have some obscure heavy hitters on.

This is for anybody reading...

I can't stand financial advisors where most don't equal the market return after fees. Most aren't worth a penny. Why would you pay someone to do worse than the market benchmarks, CRAZY! Further craziness, retirement accounts are usually either the largest or second largest asset that people have and they take ZERO interest in managing it.

People can do stuff themself, buy things like SPY (SP500), QQQ (Nasdaq), IWM (russel 2000), DIA (Dow). I like the SPY and QQQ. Get 100 shares and before you get there, learn to sell covered calls (works GREAT in a US retirement account, no tax reporting). If you do it right, you can make upwards of 8-15% yearly even if the market goes nowhere. Like a monthly dividend and reinvest it. Sell a call for 1-2% of the stock, buy 1 or 2 shares each month. Compounding is your friend.

Want to go with a little in single stocks, have at it. Even if it's $20, you can buy fractional shares at many brokers now. I agree that solid profit earning companies are great. If they pay a dividend that can be reinvested, bonus. DO NOT EVER buy a stock because it has an incredible dividend, many are traps that are unsustainable.

Have a kid, 24 years old, I helped that is going to have over a million in a ROTH by about age 28-30 if she sticks with it. Takes about 5 minutes a day to look over positions and maybe an hour when she has to sell/roll calls and puts.

Also learn about selling puts. A guy in Nebraska does this... If you are OK owning a stock at a price level below the current price, selling puts gets you paid while you wait.

Here is a compound interest calculator. Punch in $100 with $100 investment every month 30-40 years and 8-10% return rate. Check out what comes up.

JUST GET STARTED as early as possible. The environment now with no fees/commissions is great. I remember when it was $175 to make a trade and if you wanted less than 100 shares it was worse. Internet trading got that down to 20ish in the 90's to no/low commissions today.

Last edited:
@inertia

I really like Josh Brown. He has a youtube thing called the compound, IIRC. They have some obscure heavy hitters on.

This is for anybody reading...

I can't stand financial advisors where most don't equal the market return after fees. Most aren't worth a penny. Why would you pay someone to do worse than the market benchmarks, CRAZY! Further craziness, retirement accounts are usually either the largest or second largest asset that people have and they take ZERO interest in managing it.

People can do stuff themself, buy things like SPY (SP500), QQQ (Nasdaq), IWM (russel 2000), DIA (Dow). I like the SPY and QQQ. Get 100 shares and before you get there, learn to sell covered calls (works GREAT in a US retirement account, no tax reporting). If you do it right, you can make upwards of 8-15% yearly even if the market goes nowhere. Like a monthly dividend and reinvest it. Sell a call for 1-2% of the stock, buy 1 or 2 shares each month. Compounding is your friend.

Want to go with a little in single stocks, have at it. Even if it's $20, you can buy fractional shares at many brokers now. I agree that solid profit earning companies are great. If they pay a dividend that can be reinvested, bonus. DO NOT EVER buy a stock because it has an incredible dividend, many are traps that are unsustainable.

Have a kid, 24 years old, I helped that is going to have over a million in a ROTH by about age 28-30 if she sticks with it. Takes about 5 minutes a day to look over positions and maybe an hour when she has to sell/roll calls and puts.

Also learn about selling puts. A guy in Nebraska does this... If you are OK owning a stock at a price level below the current price, selling puts gets you paid while you wait.

Here is a compound interest calculator. Punch in $100 with $100 investment every month 30-40 years and 8-10% return rate. Check out what comes up.

JUST GET STARTED as early as possible. The environment now with no fees/commissions is great. I remember when it was $175 to make a trade and if you wanted less than 100 shares it was worse. Internet trading got that down to 20ish in the 90's to no/low commissions today.

@crackedback

Thanx for your contribution, lot of good info there, I was hesitant to get into options, but as you mention, there are aspects and tools to help make $$, and to mitigate a loss, but first they have to know about it .
Those mutual funds rules can absolutely kill any chance of getting a decent return.
There are ETFs, (electronically traded funds), that can zero in on any sector of the market, tech, commodities, armament, staples, you may be interested.
"O" shares won't hold a stock that doesn't have a fantastic dividend, thus a steady reliable income.
As crackedback mentioned, your retirement account deserves more than just the initial decision, and then bitching, - find out why you aren't getting the returns you should, what are the funds rules?

NVDA is up 240ish % ( to $460) since last Jan, - 8 months ago (from $150)!
Many others are near the same .

Consider keeping what you got, sell one of the worst performing, invest just that amount into a few "choice" stocks with proven performance, with a "stop-loss" to protect it.

Many financial institutions offer an "Investment Education" as part of their brokerage branch where you can learn and practice trading/investing anything you're interested in, FREE, in a practice account, go get some positions in stocks you like, then I'll give you some of mine to watch, and I'll "race ya" to a 20% gain,

Questions welcome, - not saying I'll have the answer, but I can sure direct you to it .

Last edited:
Tools - I have mentioned a "stop loss" to help protect your investment.
The one most practical for me is a "trailing stop-loss" that follows the stock/fund as is goes up, but if the stk tanks, will sell.

Example - you purchase a stock at $10, with a 10% trailing stop.
The stop will trigger at $9 if it tanks, as the stock gets to $15, the trailing stop will increase to $1.50, so if the stock drops below $13.50 it sells, locking in a $3.50 profit.
If the stock is a good performer, you may wish to re-enter cheaper, I often do this .
It goes to $20, trailing stop will sell at $18, locking in $8 profit.
I don't do it quite this way, but a variant.
Go browse around an investment site while hanging here.
If you have a question or help to find info, questions welcome.
Cheers .

Lotta stocks near all time highs, NVDA near $502 all time high, was $150 last Jan.

Boeing is making gains, now planes have stopped falling outta the sky. I started repurchasing this when it was $160 after it tripped It's stop way back $350 ish with a decent dividend, should get back there, it has a +4 yrs backlog on plane orders.
There are only 2 big plane builders, Boeing and Airbus .

Last edited:
I started this thread after hearing folks taking hits to their retirement funds, with little in rebound.
I spent the first posts not with investing, but with protecting your$$$.
Some fundamentals to be aware of before that irresistible urge to invest $$$. Sometimes the hardest part of investing is sitting on your hands, lol.
In another thread it was mentioned lots of bragging going up, silence down .
I can assure you I have a buncha stocks, particularly pot stocks, that I am sooo underwater on, they are down by the Titanic.
That's where emotion over-rode analytics, I was in "love" with them for reasons you know, - POW, right in the kisser .

- Stupid Emotion, - no "stop-loss" either discipline or software, - when I realized the mistake, I didn't act .
I keep those losses on my screen as a daily reminder .

Charting
More to guard your money .
If you have a/any mutual funds, they should have a symbol you can get info and a chart, ask your broker for that symbol .
These charts are Yahoo Finance, build a chart there, or the brokerage you use .

Below are a coupla charts just for demo, the stock is Amazon.
It's candlesticks can make certain formations that can tell you a story of things to come.
There are two lines, red, and blue, - when the lines cross, that is a trigger to buy or sell.
The longer chart since Jan shows bottom left to upper right trend, is good.
Watching the chart on your investment, as long as the 2 lines are diverging or parallel, no worries, when they converge, start paying attention, as they near, - the most attn.
When they kiss, is warning, when they cross, - take action.
That's sorta how you can monitor your stocks, not nec daily, but till the lines start to converge. Maybe a Sat morn check .
The second chart is a basic version of what I would use "day trading", each candle is one minute, and it's live, you watch the candles shrink and grow with each transaction.
The lines crossing would be late triggers for experienced investors.
Due diligence, stop-loss, lines as triggers.

One line is an "Exponential Moving Average" set to 3 (magic Fibanacci #)
The other line is also ExpMovingAvg set to 13, another fib # .
Think of the chart as protection , lol
Cheers

And yes, you can get "shook out" just as it turns back, happens often. But a $9 stop out, then another $9 to get back in, crap, I used to pay $30 each way .

Screenshot_20230911-121550.png

Screenshot_20230911-121440.png

Last edited:
As always, the market is pulling back, later than usual, but Sept is traditionally slow. The Fed didn't screw it up worse, so it's kinda coast for a while, winters coming, oil/gas is near $100, and it's all in Saudi control.
I had a few "trailing stops" trip, Boeing being one, I'm looking to get into Nextera Energy, (NEE) with the $$$, - it's pulled back big time thru the summer, I''ll nibble at it.

This chart shows Nexterra for a year, you can see with the lines crossing, - buy/sell triggers, - if you were a trader .

Again. If you want to see how your investments are doing, go to Yahoo finance, and see what the chart shows, like those successes in the previous post, or like this very poor performing stock, that may look like your investment, - if it does, you might want ask your financial advisor to find one going up .
Cheers .

Screenshot_20230921-145225.png

Last edited:
I used to build multiple screen computer setups (like tripples & quads) for the "Day Traders" 15 years ago.

Still have one of the multi screen computer setups here in storage.

Was interesting to work with the guys who were laying it on the line.

☆☆☆☆☆

I used to build multiple screen computer setups (like tripples & quads) for the "Day Traders" 15 years ago.

Still have one of the multi screen computer setups here in storage.

Was interesting to work with the guys who were laying it on the line.

☆☆☆☆☆

Yeah. Those were the days, I remember getting a newly released AMD 400 processor, stuffing 3 verge-3 video card plus the main vid card, changing bios, tons of ram, and running 2 - 20" main monitors, and 2 smaller stacked above, was quite the set-up, blew most folks minds .
Those were the days, - it was like "staging", - hand vibrating on the mouse. Lol

Last edited:
The Stock Markets are once again at ALL TIME HIGHs Despite a **** kicking by the Fed jacking up interest rates at a stupid high rate, there is hope.
Really fantastic economy numbers this morning .
Here in Canada our Fed has put interest rate hikes on hold, the US Fed seems to be wavering at no more hikes.
This really bodes well for the rest of the year for the market.
Refinancing is gonna hit some folks hard, and may adversely affect the regional banks, the Fortress Banks should be fine imho.
If your investments aren't returning back to where they should be. Then you likely didn't go find what investments you held, sold the poorest performing thing you had, and asked your adviser, ( yeah, I know, what adviser ) to suggest something with better performance.
If you read any of this thread, and didn't at least look at your investments, then YOU, AND YOU ALONE, are responsible for the shitty performance.
There has been lotsa encouragement from other financially savvy members to pay attention to likely your 2nd biggest asset next to your house.
Keep in mind, the funds your money is in, if not actively managed, may have rules that force the manager to watch your money shrink, but his min wage is $2 million a year.
There is an opportunity being offered to increase/protect your retirement savings, tools are avail, ignorance is your biggest enemy, cuz modern tech can save your *** .
I lost a lotta money on different sites before I found a place that really knew, taught, cared, and had the tools to help choose the style of trading you want to do.
If any of you really wants to learn, improve your investment decisions, learn charting, Fibonacci sequences, or now, how to get alogorythems to help you.
They have/had a fantastic education section, - I hope, - I havent been in the resource section in a very long time.
Remember, ANY TRADE YOU MAKE IS YOUR DECISION ALONE.

Screenshot_20240125-112508.png

Last edited:
ORCL broken out, sheesh, Josh Brown on CNBC called that a coupla weeks ago, shoulda listened, he's right so often.
He's made me a lotta $$$ .
Consider recording "Fast Money" just to listen to his level thoughts .
Cheers
More money equals more taxes. When I rolled over my 401k, I was advised not to put much in the stock market because once your over 40 it's hard to recoup a huge loss. I put mine in a interest making ira and it's grown every year.

get your gold where I get mine.
Metals is where it's at.

More money equals more taxes. When I rolled over my 401k, I was advised not to put much in the stock market because once your over 40 it's hard to recoup a huge loss. I put mine in a interest making ira and it's grown every year.

Good on ya,
Some folks only look at the statements, and think they have no choices, or stick with a "dog" fund.
You chose wisely, for you, but keep an eye on it, and maybe look , just for kicks at the performance of the alternative funds offered by that institution, you may be shocked.
See if their "tech" fund maybe tripled, consider selling half of what you got for some of what you missed.
There are also tools to prevent "huge losses", but diversification is important, " all eggs in one basket", is never wise .

Last edited:
Good on ya,
Some folks only look at the statements, and think they have no choices, or stick with a "dog" fund.
You chose wisely, for you, but keep an eye on it, and maybe look , just for kicks at the performance of the alternative funds offered by that institution, you may be shocked.
See if their "tech" fund maybe tripled, consider selling half of what you got for some of what you missed.
There are also tools to prevent "huge losses", but diversification is important, " all eggs in one basket", is never wise .
I don't remember the name of the company, but a few years ago it's employees put their majority investment into the company and when they went out of business they lost big time. I don't feel 100% sorry for them as they should have never put all of their money into company stock. A good investment group should've advised them not to do so. I'm a firm believer in putting money into different investments. I hate that happened to those people but some of it was their own fault by putting all of their eggs in one basket

I don't remember the name of the company, but a few years ago it's employees put their majority investment into the company and when they went out of business they lost big time. I don't feel 100% sorry for them as they should have never put all of their money into company stock. A good investment group should've advised them not to do so. I'm a firm believer in putting money into different investments. I hate that happened to those people but some of it was their own fault by putting all of their eggs in one basket

RT, - RealTime Software iirc, - Yeah, they were paid bonuses in stock options, never cashed them in, diversified, then when co, went broke, the employees had to pay income tax on shares when given, that no longer (yrs) later were worthless .

Last edited:
Lotta funds are just made up of misc stocks. Utilities, infrastructure, real estate, etc.
One year, one sector is hot, over time, things change the commodities gets hot, nobody tells you, so your still in Utes, yrs go by, Utes been flat, fund manager still getting $2mil.
Meanwhile tech up 600%
Homebuilders up 400%
Utes 100%
Fund manager don't care, he's on a yacht, you're mowing the lawn.
Lol

Yeah, they were paid bonuses in stock options, never cashed them in, diversified, then when co, went broke, the employees had to pay income tax on shares when given, that n

Yeah, they were paid bonuses in stock options, never cashed them in, diversified, then when co, went broke, the employees had to pay income tax on shares when given, that no longer (yrs) later were worthless .
Stock options are usually only good for a year. Like I said most of them losing their butts was their own fault. You never put over 20% into the place you work for. Even our 401k planner said that. Don't get me wrong here, I hate that it happened to them and as always the company came out on top. They learned a difficult lesson the hard way

Gold and bullets are good .

I had stocked up pretty good on silver not that long ago when it was $12-13 an ounce. When I peaked at $26-27 I sold most of it and used that money to buy gold. I'd like to sell an ounce or two of gold to buy some car parts and rifle parts, gotta find somewhere that'll pay me what it's worth.

Wife and I made just over 2% from Dec 11 to when we pulled our 2024 RSP withdrawal on Jan 10th alone.

Last years amount that we pulled in RSP's and mutual funds, that we did in April, recovered 80% of said amount by December 31st.

Everyone says the market is gonna crash, and have been continuously since it did in 2006/7. It may correct, but it ain't gonna crash anytime soon.

What colour car do you want this year honey......

Wife and I made just over 2% from Dec 11 to when we pulled our 2024 RSP withdrawal on Jan 10th alone.

Last years amount that we pulled in RSP's and mutual funds, that we did in April, recovered 80% of said amount by December 31st.

Everyone says the market is gonna crash, and have been continuously since it did in 2006/7. It may correct, but it ain't gonna crash anytime soon.

What colour car do you want this year honey......

Yep, fire extra into TFSA (tax free savings account) and profits are nontaxable.
Good choice.

-
Back