stop light fuse keeps blowing?

-

74slnt6

Reaction score
hey guys I had a question about my brake light fuse. Everytime I install it, it blows. I have found no open wires, and I am kind of lost at this point. What all does this fuse control ? I figured its the brake lights and dome light, but I can hear a relay click behind the dash as soon as the fuse makes connection, and then it blows. I have also misplaced my manual so I was looking to see here quick if anyone has any tips before i go find another book tomorrow. thanks in advance

Look behind the driver side kick panel. If your car is set up like mine there will be a plug attached to wires that go back to the rear lights. Unplug it and try the fuse, if it doesn't pop then, start looking for bare wires going to ground from that plug rearward.

Could have a bad socket that has grounded to itself etc.

I'll bet my quarter that your problem is in the turn signal switch in the steering column. There is a way to prove me wrong and take my quarter if you want. The click you heard was the signal flasher.

I just tried unplugging the harness behind the kick panel, and the fuse was fine. So its gotta be in the wiring or the sockets. Im thinking maybe the wiring since I put my cage in and some wires were dangerously close to the weld and lots of sharp objects. Thanks for the input guys it is greatly appreciated

The heat from the welding torch could be enough to melt and fuse together a couple of wires. Start looking in the areas you were welding.

I just tried unplugging the harness behind the kick panel, and the fuse was fine. So its gotta be in the wiring or the sockets. Im thinking maybe the wiring since I put my cage in and some wires were dangerously close to the weld and lots of sharp objects. Thanks for the input guys it is greatly appreciated

Now we know the rest of the story. Good luck with it.

I had a similar problem a few years back, turns out it was a piece of metal on top of the fuse box that fell down onto it.

I'm betting the bulkhead connector is smoked, and the wire's fused to another somewhere under the dash.

After you check the wires going to the rear and if they are ok. You might want to check the brake switch under the dash. You may have a bad switch or bare wire shorting out near the switch.

Does the fuse ONLY blow when the pedal is pressed? That is, when the brake light switch is activated?

That fuse feeds a LOT of stuff besides brakes: "CAVITY 7"

Attachments

• Fuses1cs.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Fuses2cs.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 100
-
Back