Stop spilling gas

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda and the filler neck is angled kinda weird and low so if I fill the tank completely I always spill. Anybody have suggestions how to stop it?

Common issue, when I fill up I listen to the gas coming up the pipe the tone will change as it gets near the top, stop it just before it sounds full. Think about filling a glass of water from the tap, the tone changes as it gets fuller.

you can also try lifting the hose end of the nozzle so the side in the filler dips down into the neck a little more. makes it see full a little earlyer. i've had various success with this depending on the nozzle type

i've decided Chysler had an engineer who was just in charge of making sure their cars puke gas when full...
good luck

over on slantsix.org and slantsixdan has a thread about how to fix it using a gas fill pipe restrictor that can be purchased at
www.pciinc.com and choose gas fill pipe restrictor you want the model 150 for early A's
You'll want the smallest one for the early A's
there is even an instruction sheet on how to do it somewhere online .

I just haven't been able to locate it yet. ahh here it is Gas sentry.
View attachment gas tank sentry small .jpg
or here for something you can read instead of squinting at
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/donpal/6391376619/sizes/l/in/photostream/"]All sizes | InstallingFuelTubeSpillageEliminatorIn65Dart | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]
I just got mine in the mail. it took a while for them to send it , but looks to be worth the hassle of installing it just for the paints safety.

Absolutely awesome. Thank you. I drive my car daily and I have to spray new primer under my filler neck because the gas has dammager/discolored the epoxy primer.

over on slantsix.org and slantsixdan has a thread about how to fix it using a gas fill pipe restrictor that can be purchased at
www.pciinc.com/index.php/gas/fill/pipe/restrictors

this place. You'll want the smallest one for the early A's
there is even an instruction sheet on how to do it somewhere online .

I just haven't been able to loctate it yet. ahh here it is Gas sentry.
View attachment 1714548844
or here for something you can read instead of squinting at
All sizes | InstallingFuelTubeSpillageEliminatorIn65Dart | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I just got mine in the mail. it took a while for them to send it , but looks to be worth the hassle of installing it just for the paints safety.

The link www.pciinc.com/index.php/gas/fill/pipe/restrictors doesn't work.

It is not spilling after filling just during filling. I did replace the gas cap with one from damraider quite awhile ago.

These spring loaded vapor catching gasoline filler nozzles in California are such a hassle with my Dart. I have to stand and press my leg against it to keep it in the side of my Dart. I left it alone once and it popped out onto the ground.

We have diesel vehicles at work and I really miss filling my own car with just the basic nozzle.

-
Back