Strange Dana S60 width for a body

-

340kid

Reaction score
Looking for some reccomendations on the width, my son has a 73 scamp, we are building a 10 second car, currently has s 8.75 but just realized its a b-body rear in there with race star 15x10 with 7.25 back spacing and 29.5 10.5 m/t et's, we bought it as roller, putting in a 493 stroker
So we are thinking Dana time.. The rear quarters were modified to fit the tires, the issue is we have new quarter skins going on car currently, I realize that 29.5's will need some clearancing on the front side of quarter but will we need the "Hemi Dart" fender mod also?? I'm thinking a Dana maybe an inch or 2 shorter may work to stuff them in the original opening ?? The car is mini tubbed with cal trac mono's and leafs.. Thoughts ? Anyone running Dana's with
29.5's on 15x10's or 15x12's mini tubbed what backspacing or combos work ?
Thanks in advance

Here's a pic with new skin mocked up, like the look of the tire stuffed up in the well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 399
Is it mini-tubbed? Springs relocated.

If you have a bunch of space on the spring/frame side move them in.

Yes it's mini tubbed and mono's are right under frame rail, the issues are
1: I don't think the 8.75 will last with our combo .
2: have about 2" to leaf, just a little less to inner tub
3: tires are centered pretty well but impossible to mount unless you drop rear unless you do fender mod, because of deep backspacing (7.25)
4: I'm thinking Dana maybe an inch or 2 shorter than A body's width may make it ??

Here is pic of original rear wheel opening mod

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 388
Pull out your old rear. Mock your mounted wheels/tires under the car where you want them to sit. Get your measurements. It's almost definately going to be a custom width.

I had 28 x 11's on 15 x 10 wheels with a mini tubbed 1970 dart with superstock leaf springs. With a jackstands under the sub frame connectors, the rear would drop enough to get the wheels on and off on my Dart.

Our 71 Dart has is 48 inches axles flange to axle flange.....tubs..and ladder bars ...15 x 10 wheels with 3 7/8 back spacing. 10 x 29 Hoosier

Our 71 Dart has is 48 inches axles flange to axle flange.....tubs..and ladder bars ...15 x 10 wheels with 3 7/8 back spacing. 10 x 29 Hoosier

we used to have to deflate the 16" slicks, let the rear drop w/ the shocks un hooked to get the tires on the old hemi car back in the day--lots of ways to skin a cat !!

I had my Strange 60 built four inches narrower than a stock width A body 8 3/4. Tires are 325/50R15 (28") on ten inch wheels with 3 1/2 inches of back space. I have about an inch of clearance on both sides of the tire and can barely get the tires out using a floor jack on the frame rail. It's mini tubbed and springs relocated.

IMG_5601Medium.jpg

do you recall the width - flange to flange, probably around 48 or 49 right ?

stock A body is 52" correct ?

I ordered my S60 4 inches narrower than stock with 4.5" backspace. 28x12" tires with room for more. Mini rubbed with SS springs moved to the frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 263
we run ET pro (28"tall)
10" wheel with 5" back space
53" wheel flange to wheel flange
Dana 60- springs moved into the frame
70 Dart Custom

016-1-1.jpg

-
Back