strange noise on 318

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
went to start 318 for first time today, everything is hooked up, had to replace the starter relay (?) because i wasnt getting any voltage to the starter when the key was in the crank position. so primed the carb, hooked up the battery, turn key to crank position, nothing happens. when i turn the key off, one solid sound which sounded like a large backfire goes off, and the carb is smoking as if it burned some gas. i have a feeling my starter doesnt work at all or isnt getting a good connection because the smaller of the 2 wires, the little nut doesnt tighten or loosen off. soo.. any thoughts on this? does this sound familiar or make any sense at all?

hmmm. If you had a cylinder full of fuel you would get a backfire. I would diable the igntion system and get it turning over first. One way to tighten that signal wire on the starter is to add another nut.

went to start 318 for first time today, everything is hooked up, had to replace the starter relay (?) because i wasnt getting any voltage to the starter when the key was in the crank position. so primed the carb, hooked up the battery, turn key to crank position, nothing happens. when i turn the key off, one solid sound which sounded like a large backfire goes off, and the carb is smoking as if it burned some gas. i have a feeling my starter doesnt work at all or isnt getting a good connection because the smaller of the 2 wires, the little nut doesnt tighten or loosen off. soo.. any thoughts on this? does this sound familiar or make any sense at all?

Is this a new rebuild and first time starting?

Is the backfire sound coming through the exhaust as well, along with the carb? If the timing is off a bit or 180 degrees, this can happen. Make sure than the distributor key/gear in the block is aligned properly and make sure you are at TDC.

Is this a new rebuild and first time starting?

Is the backfire sound coming through the exhaust as well, along with the carb? If the timing is off a bit or 180 degrees, this can happen. Make sure than the distributor key/gear in the block is aligned properly and make sure you are at TDC.

its not a new rebuild, it was running when pulled from the other car, but i put a 4 bbl edelbrock intake on it, and headers. but its an 85 318 so on the distributor its got a groove in it so it can only be put in one way. as for the key/gear where should it be pointing? and i did find TDC, so should it be pointing towards the 1st spark plug position on the distributor cap?
it only did the backfire sound once, and it was really hard to tell where it came from, since i was back by the door, but after that one time it wouldnt do anything after turning the key. and its not even turning over, its silent when i turn the key..

neutral safety switch hooked up?? try jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver ...

The reason you get a puff is that when the key is turned off, you're collapsing the field in the coil, just like when the points open, you get a spark.

Have you checked to see if the starter gets power when the key is turned to the crank position? If you do and the starter doesn't turn the engine over, you most likely have a bad starter. If you don't, check that your nuetral saftey switch is connected, that the solonoid gets power when the key is in the crank position, etc.

-
Back