Strange S60 loud clicking at slow speed

-

Criscobath

Reaction score
I bought a new Strange S60 a couple years ago and after break-in, swapped the gear oil to Lucas synthetic. Ever since, the rearend makes a noticeable clicking sounds when turning at low speed. Once the car is warmed up and driven more than 20 miles, the clicking during slow speed turns goes away. There have been no other issues with the rearend that have caused me to be concerned.

Should I be concerned? If so, what do you think the problem is?

I bought a new Strange S60 a couple years ago and after break-in, swapped the gear oil to Lucas synthetic. Ever since, the rearend makes a noticeable clicking sounds when turning at low speed. Once the car is warmed up and driven more than 20 miles, the clicking during slow speed turns goes away. There have been no other issues with the rearend that have caused me to be concerned.

Should I be concerned? If so, what do you think the problem is?

is it a locker? mine makes all kinds of noises.

Thanks for your response

It is a locker.

I didn't hear the noise when the break-in oil was in it. However, once I changed out the gear oil, the noise began. I thought maybe I had an issue because of that.

I'm about to drive the car 3000 miles, so want to be sure I don't have issue.

i think all lockers do that,cant tell you why it didnt do it with the breAK IN OIL. i would not be concerned,they are almost bullit proof

I have an S60 with their S-trac diff. There is no clicking what so ever.

I haven't been hard on the rear-end at all (phrasing). Maybe 10 full throttle blasts and 400 total miles.

I haven't been hard on the rear-end at all (phrasing). Maybe 10 full throttle blasts and 400 total miles.

the break in oil was prob a conventional and heavier. the synthetic is prob thinner and has made the noise audible. when i first drove my car with the locker it freaked me out but i dont even notice it any more and i have thousands of miles on it.

the break in oil was prob a conventional and heavier. the synthetic is prob thinner and has made the noise audible. when i first drove my car with the locker it freaked me out but i dont even notice it any more and i have thousands of miles on it.

I was thinking it was maybe the synthetic oil, but didn't want to say it as that always seems to open up a debate.

I had the back of a wheel stud hitting against the emergency brake cross arm. Not sure if you have drum brakes but just a thought.

Did you put the limited slip additive in? Sounds like the locker. I've always used a little bottle of additive and so did the factory

X2
I have noticed Dana 60's sounding noisier when changing from a thick oil to a thin oil (synthetic). Higher static viscosity's have insulating properties. just like if you use a paint stir in a drill, you will get two different noises between mixing water and mixing laytex paint.

I had the back of a wheel stud hitting against the emergency brake cross arm. Not sure if you have drum brakes but just a thought.

Thanks for the tip. I do have drum brakes in the rear. Wouldn't that be an issue at all times, rather than just during low speed turns?

I have a Strange 60 with an Eaton True-trac differential. Strange supplied the Lucas synthetic 75w-140 gear oil for it. I haven't heard any noises out of my rear end yet, but I also am still breaking it in.

I have a Strange 60 with an Eaton True-trac differential. Strange supplied the Lucas synthetic 75w-140 gear oil for it. I haven't heard any noises out of my rear end yet, but I also am still breaking it in.

Brian,

Thanks for confirming my memory still works.:D

-
Back