Strange thing happened on the way to work

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Yesterday on the way to work running down the high way at 70mph my ram 1500 with a 5.7 started making a funny popping noise. I pulled over and opened the hood thinking the belt must have broke and was slapping around.
Belt was okay but the #3 coil was all busted up and compression was blowing out around it. Of coarse I didn't have the right tools with me (a 10mm) to remove the coil. Called my son in law up had him bring tools a new coil and spark plug with him.
The plug had blown out of the hole and hit the coil with enough force to destroy them both. Put the new plug in and the new coil on and it started right up and ran fine.

Made a mental to myself, next txime I change the plugs make double sure all 16 are tight.:eek:ops:

Yesterday on the way to work running down the high way at 70mph my ram 1500 with a 5.7 started making a funny popping noise. I pulled over and opened the hood thinking the belt must have broke and was slapping around.
Belt was okay but the #3 coil was all busted up and compression was blowing out around it. Of coarse I didn't have the right tools with me (a 10mm) to remove the coil. Called my son in law up had him bring tools a new coil and spark plug with him.
The plug had blown out of the hole and hit the coil with enough force to destroy them both. Put the new plug in and the new coil on and it started right up and ran fine.

Made a mental to myself, next txime I change the plugs make double sure all 16 are tight.:eek:ops:

LOL, I bet you don't forget it either.

I stopped in front a work to help a clueless kid with a Honda 4 cyl. He said the engine "sounded funny". One spark plug missing and the wire hanging. I told him it wouldn't hurt to drive it 6 miles home like that. I suggested a mechanic didn't tighten the plug enough, being fearful of stripping the aluminum head, so first try putting another plug in. Of course, a mechanic could have stripped it and didn't bother to relate that info to the customer.

My grandmother had a Kia Sportage that was immaculate and my bro got it after she passed, then he wrecked it twice and got it pulled out of the ditch and ripped the back door, then he has the #3 and #4 spark plugs blow out, one a week after the other. That car has been crushed, only 8 years old when it went away.

Had that happen on a Honda 500 Interceptor I had years ago. Had to take a lot of stuff of the bike to get to the plugs. Did it on the side of the freeway. About 15 miles down the road it happened again, forgot to check the other back cylinder, damn v-4.....

It happened to a buddy of mine when we were kids. We were out trail riding on our snowmobiles when I heard a loud bang. I looked behind me and he was just sitting on his sled in the middle of the trail with a "what the hell was that" look on his face. I went back to see what was going on and found a quarter size hole in the cowling of his sled. I had a spare plug on me so I put it in and away we went

No towing fee's are a good thing :cheers:
but I must say, I did not know they had 16 spark plugs :sign3:
Learn something everyday :happy1:

That is a huge Ford thing. Never seen it on a Dodge. Ford blow the threads right out of the head and drive the plug into the coil like yours did. Google Ford 5.4 spark plug issues some time. It's funny how many problems they had and no recall. Count yourself lucky the threads are still in the head and drive that Hemi until death do you part.

That is a huge Ford thing. Never seen it on a Dodge. Ford blow the threads right out of the head and drive the plug into the coil like yours did. Google Ford 5.4 spark plug issues some time. It's funny how many problems they had and no recall. Count yourself lucky the threads are still in the head and drive that Hemi until death do you part.

Those 5.4 ford plugs are sure an odd ball looking thing. They sometimes break off the extended tip and it stays in the engine. Or the head threads strip out. Glad the hemis use a std plug(s)!

-
Back