Strange Ticking Noise is coming from my transmission?

-

1973Kathleen

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport it has a 318 with a 904 Automatic Transmission. When the car is idling it has a nasty tick to it. sometimes its loud and noticable others its very light or not even there. its 100% coming from the bell housing so is there a bolt or something that goes in there that could be too long or what?
Also the engine itself is 1968 could the flywheels be different from the old 73 engine the torque converter and tranny is a 1973

I have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport it has a 318 with a 904 Automatic Transmission. When the car is idling it has a nasty tick to it. sometimes its loud and noticable others its very light or not even there. its 100% coming from the bell housing so is there a bolt or something that goes in there that could be too long or what?
Also the engine itself is 1968 could the flywheels be different from the old 73 engine the torque converter and tranny is a 1973
Could very well be a loose or cracked flex plate.

A "ticking" is quite often a torque convertor bolt hitting the dust shield- a little tweeking or straightening of the shield is usually all it takes to remedy the situation. Remove the shield and look for witness marks on the inside, or run without it to see if that takes care of the issue. If not, further investigation is needed- look for loose bolts or as circlepilot said, a cracked flexplate.

Put it in drive and hold your foot on the brake. Now gently load it with a little gas holding your foot on the brake. If the noise goes away or changes drastically, you likely have a cracked flex plate, or loose converter bolts.

When installing the trans, did you use the bellhousing bolts to pull the trans into the engine? I'm wondering if you got the converter all the way in the pump.

When installing the trans, did you use the bellhousing bolts to pull the trans into the engine? I'm wondering if you got the converter all the way in the pump.
I wasnt there when it was installed. Its at a votech school that im in and the afternoon session installed the transmission. all i know is the one guy made me disconnect the torque converter from the engine and when removing the tranny he spun it back because when i removed the transmission the first time he said i couldve hurt a seal removing the transmission without the torque converter

I had a clocking bolt come out of a mini starter, dropped into the f/wheel cover. Made an intermittent noise as described.

-
Back