Street/Strip project thoughts?

-

Savage440

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just looking to get some thoughts on a project i am going to start this winter and if it i am on the right path for my goals. any suggestions welcome. I am fairly new to the scene especially the Mopar one minus my dad's cuda that has been off the road for a while now. Only experience I have really has been playing around my old Falcon i have since got rid of and small block fords. Always wanted a big block Dart or Duster so going to go for it!! starting with the motor as i figured can always drop it in the cuda for some fun while getting other things together. Be going with either an early 70s swinger, a sport or if i can talk my cousin into selling me his duster cheap lol.

I am not too worried about what the dyno says, of course if it got up in the 600hp/tq range i wouldn't complain lol but my main goal is to land some where in the 10's on motor. deeper the better but a 10.9x would still make me very happy. Street duty would more just some weekend fun.

So far the set up idea i have been thinking is

Dart/duster stripped down interior, plastic buckets, 6 point, connectors, fiberglass hood, mini tub, 90/10s front/ calvert 9 way in the rear, caltracs, 8 3/4 4.30s,

727 reverse manual, 4000-4500rpm

440 .030 Like to keep it pump gas
not sure on carb, 950+
looking at trickflow track heat and victor intakes. still deciding
trick flow power port 240 heads
Lunati voodoo solid roller
wouldn't mind the occasional 100ish shot

would this be realistic to hit my goals? thanks a lot!

Hey all,

I was just looking to get some thoughts on a project i am going to start this winter and if it i am on the right path for my goals. any suggestions welcome. I am fairly new to the scene especially the Mopar one minus my dad's cuda that has been off the road for a while now. Only experience I have really has been playing around my old Falcon i have since got rid of and small block fords. Always wanted a big block Dart or Duster so going to go for it!! starting with the motor as i figured can always drop it in the cuda for some fun while getting other things together. Be going with either an early 70s swinger, a sport or if i can talk my cousin into selling me his duster cheap lol.

I am not too worried about what the dyno says, of course if it got up in the 600hp/tq range i wouldn't complain lol but my main goal is to land some where in the 10's on motor. deeper the better but a 10.9x would still make me very happy. Street duty would more just some weekend fun.

So far the set up idea i have been thinking is

Dart/duster stripped down interior, plastic buckets, 6 point, connectors, fiberglass hood, mini tub, 90/10s front/ calvert 9 way in the rear, caltracs, 8 3/4 4.30s,

727 reverse manual, 4000-4500rpm

440 .030 Like to keep it pump gas
not sure on carb, 950+
looking at trickflow track heat and victor intakes. still deciding
trick flow power port 240 heads
Lunati voodoo solid roller
wouldn't mind the occasional 100ish shot

would this be realistic to hit my goals? thanks a lot!
It'd be pretty close

Read some of the threads that I've made on the subject. I have two 470 engines that both make more than 700 hp on pump gas using Trick Flow heads. Fairly easy to just duplicate one of my builds.

Spend a few more $$$$$ and get double adjustable shocks. Those 9 way single adjustable are as antiquated as washing you clothes in river and drying them over an open fire.

Looks like your on the right track. Big engine with great heads in a light car.

Thanks a lot guys for the replies! I will definitely take a look at the 470 builds. I had been up in the air about maybe just saving a bit more and maybe doing the 400 block stroker deal from muscle motors anyway from the get go lol. Ill look into the shocks as well. Thanks again!

Read some of the threads that I've made on the subject. I have two 470 engines that both make more than 700 hp on pump gas using Trick Flow heads. Fairly easy to just duplicate one of my builds.

Do you have a link to any of your builds? writing from Australia......

With an estimated 3300lbs car weight you only need 500hp to break into the 10's with a good hooking car, 550hp and your in the mid 10's, how easy is that with just a 440 with TF 240's, you don't need a roller but it won't hurt, and a true 10.5:1 for PG, should be job done with money left to spend on Good shocks and converter.
I went 10.7's on an all iron 440-6pk motor with 906's and 9.7:1 back in the day with just 486hp and a car that had soft 60's, was a bit lighter than 3300 though.

Last edited:
I had a 73 Dart Swinger that weighed 3520 with me in it. It had a pump gas 440 with Wisco pro true flat top Pistons that were about .006 in the hole. Had a very mild Bowl ported Indy EZ heads. With all that the Engine had 10.9 compression and all passes was on 93 pump gas. Oops forgot to add I had a comp cam solid Roller. Wish was. 264 at 0.050 and 634 lift with 1.6 Roller Rockers. TTI 2 inch headers. 9.5 inch 4200 stall and 4.30 gears. M/T ET street Radiels in 275/60/15 with 4.30 gears. My first time out with the car a ran a 10.66 at 125 in the 1/4 with 4.10 gears till I blew them up on my 5th pass. I installed a set of 4.30 I had laying around and with the car at 3420 race weight ran 3 10.49 in the 1/4. The car at the time had the wrong converter in it, was So posed to be using a 5400 stall converter. Which latter on I installed a 8 inch AT converter that stalled 5400. But I sold the car before I could find out what it would run.

Do you have a link to any of your builds? writing from Australia......
i'm in New Zealand and been looking at 451 or 470 for my '70 wayfarer ute. problem is trying to find a 400 block. for me going down the 440 route will most likely be easier.

-
Back