Strip LED's, not a bad lighting solution at all.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
One of our members mentioned these and I had to check them out.

I had never used them before not to long ago, and I have to say these are pretty usable.
This one comes in 15 foot length and can be cut as short as 3 LED sections.
They have a soldering spot where you cut them so wires can be attached, but one of the most impressive things about them is that it doesn't matter if you want three of the LED's or 300, as they still use a standard 12 volts.

Also they come in many colors, and they are dimmable. (and even completely waterproof)

They work great for added lighting in gauge clusters, for the under dash floorboard area and dome light as well as for the trunk light.

Can't beat them for versatility and price, and on average 3 feet of them uses about half of the amps as one regular 12v bulb.
Just 3 of them is easily twice the light as a standard filament bulb like and interior or dash bulbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cool-White-...334832?hash=item3d02b3ad70:g:yXUAAOSwuTxV-67t

Cool, im going to try them. I just picked up a 2014 Ford E250 van to pull the car trailer and tools, and was looking for something like this. When your out at the drag strip, or where ever you constantly have to watch that you don't run the battery down with the dome lights leaving the doors open.

Indoor use only for these. I added the same lights to the under shelves of my tool truck.
.8 of an amp draw for a 8' strip.

Attachments

• tool truck with led lighting.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 412
I'm gonna have to check in to those use under the kitchen cupboards!! And possibly in a few of the vehicles as well

Well TB, LOL, I'm gonna hold you to this!!! Just bought a strip o' these!!

I tried these on the edge of my truck to light the running boards because my older relatives need to see where they are stepping when it's dark out.. they failed after less than 1 year. I redid the lighting with a set that is better insulated against weather - they are holding up nicely. I would side with TMM here - indoor use only on these particular ones.

I put them in my gage cluster awhile back. I was not satisfied with the stock bulb placement, lots of very dim spots. So I used a non waterproof #5630 led strip. This is supposedly the brightest light strip you can buy. I also looked into aluminum and plastic housings you can fit these into for under kitchen cabinets, and play on buying the housings to mount under the bedrail lip on my pickup to light the inside of the truck bed at night so i can see in there. Your uses are only limited by your imagination.

See below for my dash with the green 5630 led strip installed

Matt

Gage lighting pix, also a 9 volt battery and a couple alligator clipped test leads on a 3 segment strip i had leftover from my gage install kept my little boy entertained for a few evenings.

Attachments

• 20151110_190709.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 20151114_125121.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 314
  • 20151116_190348.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 313
They make em in soft white too so that they have that warm glow like incandescent bulbs. I think that color looks good in the kitchen under the upper cabinets. I may run a strip of these inside my trunk too. The price is soooo freakin cheap for a 15 foot roll too. Average about $5-$7 per roll. You can even get tricolor LED strips if you want to change the backlighting on your gage panel to suit your mood like on the 2005 up mustangs. These are a 4 wire setup. One is ground return, the 3 other wires are red, blue, green. Just like a color TV set.

They are dimmable down to 7V which is pretty fim, then they wink out, so you can dim them down to what you need. Dash isnt back in the car yet, but brightness in pic is at full 12 volts.

In 2012 when I was giving the kitchen a makeover ,I went to the usual big box stores to look at under cabinet lighting. I was horrified at the prices of LED fixtures $75 each ( I needed 4 ) ! So being the resourceful guy that I am , I looked online to see if there was a more cost effective way to accomplish my goal. I was browsing Amazon and stumbled on these LED self adhesive strips with solder spots throughout for easy sizing. It was as easy as running 18ga speaker wire from rheostat to each strip, and with the rheostat I can adjust them to just the right intensity ( they are only at about 75% ). So for under $100 I was able to do all of my cabinet lighting. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q907EW/?tag=joeychgo-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034GUEY4/?tag=joeychgo-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L4KKF2/?tag=joeychgo-20

Attachments

• IMG_1219.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1216.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 245
Yep, that is the game plan for my kitchen as well. Yours looks great. Plus since they take such little voltage and amperage to run, you can leave them on a real dim setting as a night light for the kitchen.

My full kitchen renovation will wait till the kids are grown up and gone. I did a partial freshening up of the kitchen cabinets, and its only been a year since, its all fucked up now again, chipped paint etc. Looked great for about 3 months. Told my wife i am not gonna waste my time on this again. Got better things to do with my time.

I'm considering using this as lighting in the bathroom
any thoughts on that?

In 2012 when I was giving the kitchen a makeover ,I went to the usual big box stores to look at under cabinet lighting. I was horrified at the prices of LED fixtures $75 each ( I needed 4 ) ! So being the resourceful guy that I am , I looked online to see if there was a more cost effective way to accomplish my goal. I was browsing Amazon and stumbled on these LED self adhesive strips with solder spots throughout for easy sizing. It was as easy as running 18ga speaker wire from rheostat to each strip, and with the rheostat I can adjust them to just the right intensity ( they are only at about 75% ). So for under $100 I was able to do all of my cabinet lighting. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q907EW/?tag=joeychgo-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034GUEY4/?tag=joeychgo-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L4KKF2/?tag=joeychgo-20

Did you hardwire or plugged it in somewhere?

I'm considering using this as lighting in the bathroom
any thoughts on that?

Full lighting? I wouldnt think they would be bright enough to light the entire space. But accent lighting.... why not.

Im considering using these as accent lighting in our basement, perhaps in place of track style lighting.

Did you hardwire or plugged it in somewhere?

I just fished some romex up the wall, from the switch up to on top of the cabinets, where i knocked a small hole in the drywall. Wired up an old electrical work box to the transformer, from there to the dimmer. lights wired to dimmer ,then just left it all laying on top, where it is not seen from floor level, but the rheostat is still reachable. Easy peasy. Everyone who comes over is always amazed at the under cabinet lights without the cords hanging down to a plug.

Full lighting? I wouldnt think they would be bright enough to light the entire space. But accent lighting.... why not.

Im considering using these as accent lighting in our basement, perhaps in place of track style lighting.

the layout of the bathroom is odd
there is a good vanity light above the sink but when your in the shower it is downright dim
(there is the option of turning on the fan, which has a light in it, but that isn't too bright either, and who wants to listen to that fan running ?)

so yeah, I would want it as something more then accent lighting
of course, wiring it in and making it look nice would be a challenge

(part of the issue is, we are talking about a basement bathroom, with a low ceiling and not enough room above the doors to install crown molding, otherwise I would consider installing molding an inch from the ceiling and running the lights in the space in between)

there is a good vanity light above the sink but when your in the shower it is downright dim
(there is the option of turning on the fan, which has a light in it, but that isn't too bright either, and who wants to listen to that fan running ?)

(part of the issue is, we are talking about a basement bathroom, with a low ceiling and not enough room above the doors to install crown molding, otherwise I would consider installing molding an inch from the ceiling and running the lights in the space in between)

what about something like this?http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2013B6/?tag=joeychgo-20

I just fished some romex up the wall, from the switch up to on top of the cabinets, where i knocked a small hole in the drywall. Wired up an old electrical work box to the transformer, from there to the dimmer. lights wired to dimmer ,then just left it all laying on top, where it is not seen from floor level, but the rheostat is still reachable. Easy peasy. Everyone who comes over is always amazed at the under cabinet lights without the cords hanging down to a plug.

Cool, thanks! We have been wanting to replace the large bulky florescent lights with LEDs, just no way Im going to pay that outrageous price for 1 fixture when I need 4-5 of them.

We have a similar bathroom in our basement. We do have a bathroom fan with a light but they are on separate switches so we dont have to listen to the fan. I have seen LED lighting like the above strips but in 120v. I dont know if that helps at all, but just a thought.

-
Back