stripped water outlet bolt

-

challyrtse

Reaction score
I flushed the radiator and changed the thermostat because it was time to do so, and upon reinstalling the water neck, I stripped the front bolt inside the intake manifold. I have a 318 topped with an Edelbrock aluminum intake, and this particular bolt hole has been drilled and tapped once before, and I don't think she'll take another...

My question is, on the Edelbrock intake there are two additional pre-tapped bolt holes. These holes are smaller in diameter, and closer together than the stock water neck holes; unfortunately my water neck doesn't line up with them. Does anyone know where I can get a water neck that will fit these holes? There has to be something available otherwise why would they have come that way from the factory.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. This was going to be the last thing I needed to fix before my old Dart was summer ready. It seeme like there is always something keeping me from driving her to work once a week!

Thanks,
Steve

check the later smaller t-stat style housing. late 70's if i remember they switched to a smaller chevy style stat and housing that used 5/16 bolts.

Thanks for the quick response, guys.
I think I'll try the heli-coil first, and if that fails I will use the later style thermostat and water neck.
Good to know that I have two options!

Thanks again everyone!
I ended up getting a water neck and thermostat for a 1979 Dodge Aspen, and they bolted right into the other bolt holes in the intake manifold.
I would have gone heli-coil, but that bolt hole had already been drilled and tapped out once before, and I was afraid of tolerances. If I drilled through, it would be a $200 fix to a $20 problem (not my cup of tea!)

-
Back