stripping chrome from plastic

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
Okay, so I figured I'd start on some of the low buck on no buck stuff for the Dip I'm building. The headlight and marker light bezels are all plastic with the chrome coming off. Some of it's stuck, some of it's not. Any good suggestion on how to strip these back to bare? Figured I'd strip 'em and paint 'em with Killer Chrome.

Just wondering if you've used Killer Chrome before. Video looks good but reviews aren't. THX

oven cleaner ramenth, do a small test first but that is what I use on plastic models to strip chrome plating off.

Only if you want this to happen.:-D
the-persistence-of-memory.jpg

I use a homemade soak tank filled with Welseys bleech-white. Leave a instrument bezel in it about 3 days . Spray away any remains of paint or chrome with a garden hose. Works great.

I used oven cleaner on my gauge bezel and it stipped it all the way to bare plastic. Spray a real heavy coat and I put it in a trash bag so it wouldn't dry up too fast. Then just hosed it off after a couple hours, it may take 2 times but still it can be stripped in less then a day.

Okay, think I'll go with the oven cleaner trick for the headlight and marker light bezels. Now any tricks for the chrome on the dash panel? It's surround for all the gauges is the fake wood graining I really don't want to eff-up. Wipe down with the oven cleaner or Bleach White until it comes off?

Everyone is using their IC bezels as an example for me. Will the Bleech-White or oven cleaner damage my fake wood graining?

Everyone is using their IC bezels as an example for me. Will the Bleech-White or oven cleaner damage my fake wood graining?
yeah ramenth, the oven cleaner will mess the simulated wood grain up. I cleaned a small area of mine with some prep sol and it took the color off. I will probably play with my air brush and try to fix. My shifter knob in worn as well so I will have to redo that. This is where years of model building/scatch building technics pays off.

To remove or restore the chrome without damaging the wood grain will be impossible.

Don't use the word impossible with me...:-D I use that as incentive. Just means I have to figure out a different way.

Use a small modelers paint brush or Q-tip to apply in small areas. Do a little at a time.

Use a small modelers paint brush or Q-tip to apply in small areas. Do a little at a time.

Or a mechanical means instead of a chemical one. The old saying: "if there's a will, there's a way." I like your line of thinking. I was thinking of this, too.

-
Back