Strretracing in sweden

-
Here in Sweden it can be 150-200 miles to the nearest racetrack, and the track will not be open for "anyone" more than a few times each year. If you live in the northern parts it can be three-four times as far to a racetrack.

But we have a lot of straight roads out in the woods that see regular traffick just a few times a day.

So streetracing is big.

Same problem is rising in the states, at least in the middle of the country. More and more tracks are closing. My neck of the woods there is interest for new tracks but the nearby city has voted against it time and time again. No Tracks = Street Racing. Here I have to settle for a 1/8th mile track since every ¼ mile track that was close has dried up. When the Missouri flooded last spring it covered what I consider the local track and there was a good chance it was never going to re-open. Luckily it pulled though, but other than that, it’s several 100 miles to the next track in bordering states

Looks like you guys had a blast!!!
We use to race like that every day.
It sounded like a dragstrip every shift change as
guys when to work and came home when I was a kid.
Sure miss thoughs days.
I still raise hell in everything I drive, makes me laugh!
Seems like the younger guys are afraid to chirp a tire these days,
theyda **** their pants and hid behind mommys skirt in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

I have seen more than 1000 street races and not one even near accident nor marginally dangerous situation.
Dont race in populated areas or where you cannot see 1/2 mile at least.
Non issue.

Nice job having fun out in the country!

I'm sure I've seen at least as many street races and was involved in at least 500 myself when I grew up in the 80's. We always tried to be safe. The rule was if you were racing and someone appeared on the highway you immediately shut your car down and got in the rt. lane. But there always had to be one (or 2) idiots in the bunch. Saw one real close accident. Why? Cause 2 16 year old kids (with both cars full of kids) just had to prove that they had the fastest cars. They ran 2 cars completely off the road down into a big ditch that were coming at them cause neither would shut down until the 1/4 was over. :wack:

Things may be different in Sweeden, don't know. Looks like they were just running short runs so that helps. Looked like well organized fun so it may have been fairly safe.

I have seen more than 1000 street races and not one even near accident nor marginally dangerous situation.
Dont race in populated areas or where you cannot see 1/2 mile at least.
Non issue.

Nice job having fun out in the country!

That maybe true. And l get the appeal. Like many, I did a lot of street racing. But I lost my best friend in 1982. He was racing on a 2 lane road in "the country". His Camaro got squirrely, hooked the shoulder and rolled into the corn field. Not pretty. Been taking it to the track ever since...

That said, those are some cool rides. Really nice looking car you have there BarracudaV8

Pat

Well it's still nice to see hot rodding in any form ..Even if its a old volvo as we all have are thing that makes us itch...

you guys may have been beating up on that Volvo but it was a pretty cool little car. sounded like a turbo set up. inline 6?

yeah it is a very cool car. It is a 2,3l straight four cylinder engine with a huge turbo. it made 517 horsepowers on the dyno.

I liked the video, most guys with grey hair have done this before.
Man that Charger could not find any traction.
How long was the finish, what I could hear, not many cars even wound 2 gear out.

yeah the charger didn´t want to race so he burned some rubber instead. it was 1/8 finish.

Reminds me of my street racing days back in the 1970s. My Mopar club used to run a club race now and then behind a box factory in an industrial area. It was a great place since that stretch of road had no cross streets like in the video.

we had a guy on the crossroad that signaled if there were any wehichles approaching.

My mom's side of the family is 1/2 Norwegian...man those "Squareheads" know how to have fun and do some crazy stuff. Swedes? Yeah, I figure it's pretty much the same in that respect!

We did have a blast. But when I and my father in law in the Javelin were supposed to race in the semifinal it started raining. we have never raced against each other. . So that was a bit boring. but it would have been a very equal race i think. And to Longarm, I´m only 24 years old, so don´t blame me for being afraid to chirp a tire =)..

I am not anywhere close to being afraid to "chirp" a tire...the reason most kids don't do it is becuase thanks to the 50's and the 60's the laws on street racing have become much more harsh and the technology the police use has increased just a bit. Back then you could get in a few races before the cops show up. Today you rev your engine at an intersection and your getting a ticket. Not to mention the increase in suburban area's where traffic is bad and the closest isolated straight is usually 30 minutes away. So its not so much about being afraid as it is being smart...you just have a few dumb kids like me who don't hesitate to smoke out a town. Around my house we have a state park with a huge flood plain so its super flat and straig for a few miles and only one way in. We can usually race there for about 30 minutes a weekend before a cop shows up.

We did have a blast. But when I and my father in law in the Javelin were supposed to race in the semifinal it started raining. we have never raced against each other. . So that was a bit boring. but it would have been a very equal race i think. And to Longarm, I´m only 24 years old, so don´t blame me for being afraid to chirp a tire =)..

Looks to me like your not afraid to blast off for fun!
Jag hyllar du, Carl

looks like a lot of fun - and the touch of beeing illegal, let the feeling even grow a little bit more....

we have the same problems here in Germany, only a few legal tracks, most of them are miles away (prob. 300 miles and more for the most gearheads) and only limited use for drag. most of them are used for ovaltrack races

Timo,same here in the states.If you know how to street race,do it intelligently,the cops still leave you alone.Over here,too many uneducated people ,have money ,buy a car.I busted my butt,to build mine.After all that effort,why lose it? Taught by some from the 60's/70's era,don't regret in the slightest.Wanna go back.

I am not anywhere close to being afraid to "chirp" a tire...the reason most kids don't do it is becuase thanks to the 50's and the 60's the laws on street racing have become much more harsh and the technology the police use has increased just a bit. Back then you could get in a few races before the cops show up. Today you rev your engine at an intersection and your getting a ticket. Not to mention the increase in suburban area's where traffic is bad and the closest isolated straight is usually 30 minutes away. So its not so much about being afraid as it is being smart...you just have a few dumb kids like me who don't hesitate to smoke out a town. Around my house we have a state park with a huge flood plain so its super flat and straig for a few miles and only one way in. We can usually race there for about 30 minutes a weekend before a cop shows up.

Well said, and very true. If you fart in the wrong direction your getting a ticket in some areas. You can also thank population growth, laws, and technology (traffic cams anyone?) for the fact you can't f**k around.

Fascism at it's finest folks, all in the name of public service, but the tracks get closed down so there is no outlet? Give me a break. Where do you go?

I could rant for a while but the truth is, no matter where you live, we have to get more creative and be safer, all while heading to the hills to enjoy sport. It can be done.

Burn up those streets and be safe!!! :burnout:

Search "Streetracing helsingborg" on youtube. It is a huge thing in Sweden especielly inhelsingborg where i come from. Every summer on friday and saturday thousands of people an about 500-600 cars gather to run streetracing and drifting. Both young and elder people. you may also have heard about Power big meet in Västerås. for 4 days over 70000 people and 20000 american cars gather to have a blast. Lots of alchohol cops and AMERICAN MUSCLE. but when the police summarizes they only got like 100 police reports. when the big cruising takes place it takes about 8 hours to complete the cruising. Search on youtube. POWER BIG MEET.

I'd much rather watch this stuff than some high-dollar "street" car that gets trailered in. It looked just like the stuff you'd see back in the 60s & 70s in NYC--check out the "street racing" thread in Moparts, about 14 pages worth of stories! While I certainly don't condone it, given the lack of tracks, distance, desolete location & relativly slow speeds, why not?

-
Back