Struts coming loose?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
66 dart sedan, redid the front end 2 years ago. Upgraded the strut bushings to the Moog pancake washer thing.
By chance I was under the Dart today and I noticed that one of the Nuts on the strut rod was finger tight at best?? How in the heck?? So I tightened it back, but now I wonder does anyone know the proper Torque lbs for that nut? Since it is not the original type, I can't find info on the spec. Help?? BTW it was only loose on the driver side, the pass side was still super tight. thanks

Don't know the specs, but do the older cars have a roll pin to insure the nut doesn't come all the way off?

Which one was loose, front or back? Nuts on the fronts were originally self locking with roll pin. Have not seen original nuts loosen.

It was the front nut. There is no roll pin hole, and there is no locking washer. Just the frame, thick rubber washer, thick metal concave washer and then this nut. I suppose I could put a large split locking washer under the nut? At least for piece of mind?

It was the front nut. There is no roll pin hole, and there is no locking washer. Just the frame, thick rubber washer, thick metal concave washer and then this nut. I suppose I could put a large split locking washer under the nut? At least for piece of mind?

The ones with no cotter pin use a self locking nut. (crimped castle nut)
Blue Locktite will solve that for you.

Self locking- no lock washer. I assume you don't have the originals. If I don't have self locking, I would consider double nutting it. Don't like the idea of a lock washer next to a flexible rubber bushing.

Get a nyloc nut(s) ...at any decent hardware store.
1200px-Nylon_Lock_Nut.png

On my 67 Dart I just replaced the passengers side strut bar. I’m about to do the drivers side. I think what is happening is that the large rubber grommet or washer when tightened down on pushes back against the loc nut when it is deformed. The original nuts on my strut bars are swedge shaped meaning that the nut is purposely slightly ovaled. It will only screw on when pressure is excerted or tourqed down on. Make sure you have that correct nut and torque to specs then use the blue locktite.

So I gather that I do not have the original bushings. I installed the Moog K7040 type, which came with cotter pins, which I had no use for since I have no holes. Someone prior had welded in a plate onto the K frame so the original type narrow bushings no longer work. So anyone know the torque? I may try to put a lock washer inbetween the nut and the washer. also it is worth noting the strut on the passender side sticks out into the radiator hose, so I put a rubber cap on it to keep it from rubbing a hole.

I thought the factory nuts stopped when the washer gets clamped to the step on the rod.

Or when the washer comes up against the sleeve when that type is used.
If you don't run them down to the stopping point you have uneven lengths on the bars.

Anyone know the torque when using the now obsolete Moog Problem Solvers, for the front where bushings are? And would the strut to LCA be same as Factory? Or less, no specs available to me

I don't, but if you are using new bolts, they may not be threaded far enough to actually be tight when you tighten the chit out of them. Back when I was an alignment guy, I installed hardened washers one on each end, under the head and under the nut; so that they had enough thread to actually clamp.
I found out the hard way, thankfully on my own car. Backing off the alignment rack and grabbing some brake, I heard an awful noise. When I got out and looked, there was my wheel assembly pointing off into the wild blue yonder, as they say.

I don't, but if you are using new bolts, they may not be threaded far enough to actually be tight when you tighten the chit out of them. Back when I was an alignment guy, I installed hardened washers one on each end, under the head and under the nut; so that they had enough thread to actually clamp.
My Bad, Brother! I meant the Strut Rod bushings. K to strut bushing and same strut to LCA

My bad Brother, I read it wrong; funny how that happens sometimes.
No Sir, I think I typed it funny! And sorry for interjection! I was referring to the problem solver strut rod bushings, that aren't available, and they told me they won't be, ever. They were a harder durometer rated rubber. I probably got one of the last sets around, bout summer 2 years ago. Just can't find torque rates for em. Driving me nuts

-
Back