Ststurbo???

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
ststurbo.com anyone heard of this, use it, or know someone who uses it was thinkin about doing this to my 383 since stroking it seems like a lot more work than i thought? they used it one time on TRUCKs on powerblocktv What are Your ThOUGhts?? thanks

Well looks ok... seems like the space your saving under the hood is all getting put under the car so you mite have ground clearence to worry about...and adding that much exhaust would creat a huge lag time I would imagine.... but im currently looking at a stroker and I was thinking of a turbo since my buddy has a kit for it but I figure a fresh motor you get out of a stroker and the no maintnence of booost... and extra hardware of anykind not to mentrion the weight and fittment of everything a stroker is just simple.... buy a kit, machine it,and put it together or have them do it. but does look like a cool idea

I have a friend that has 1 on his LS motor,runs preaty damn good and there really isn't any turbo lag to speak of,there really isn't much more piping maybe 2 feet or so compared to a standard engine bay setup.

was thinkin about doing this to my 383 since stroking it seems like a lot more work than i thought?

440 source stroker kit, basically drop in and go. I've seen these kits and they're pretty nice.
Did a 512 440 at my old job. The boss had no troubles with it. Just bored and honed it.

I was just going to post asking about this for you haha....basically what he wants to know is there anything more than a good fuel system that he needs to run 8 psi of boost...I know new piston rings and rebuild the motor but will the stock forged pistons be fine? maybe new cam to help the turbo

Stock pistons are cast. You will want low compression forged pistons.
There are some cam grinds out there for forced induction. Crower listed a couple on their web site called turbomaster. They have a wider lsa, of 114, rather than the more common 110-108 on performance cams. And different duration and lift to take advantage of the turbo.

yep turbos for the street! turbos work awesome for a street car cos they only boost when you load it up, improving the MPG.
and they are very easy on internals, Iv seen 800hp eagle rods in a 1450hp turbo 454.
under 10 pound of boost ya dont even need forged pistons, if ya still only want 550hp id use 8.5 KB flattops, peened stock rods n a stock crank.
there are so many blow thru carbs and hats you can get as well as intercoolers the list go's on 8) price it up mate, see if its cost effective.
P.s turbo+4speed=prefect!

Turbos are awfully tempting as a quick and easy fix for low HP. Anyone that has owned a turbo car, other than a factory one, is a major undertaking. Seems easy at first but it really requires a lot of engineering to get it right. Turbos have their advantages but you have to pay for it. A kit such as the STS kits are cool because they come with most of what you need. A stock piston medium compression motor can handle a good amount of power, unlike nitrous. At low power levels there is no need to worry about a special cam or anything of that nature. I say try it, most people who go turbo never go back. There has to be a reason right?

i am planning to do one on a 95 t/a and my 71 duster.

Interesting. I have a Duster and a T/A as well. I guess it's not as unusual as I thought. 8) I was considering an STS for my 2000 LS1 but I am worried about it sucking water as I live in Florida and the water gets pretty deep here in the summer monsoon season.

I was thinking about how I would mount the sts kit. My car is raised quite a bit in the rear,because of my tires,, so this turbo would be able to be seen under the car, also my mufflers end right before the rearend and people now days will take anything , I fear it being stolen, since my car isn't always guaranteed a spot in my garage. Is there any other way to mount it so it wouldn't be seen??? Also. After I thought. About that I started to think super charger, not the roots supercharger, but the one that looks similar to a turbo but belt driven? What are your thoughts on those???. I know they are about a grand more,but wouldn't be paranoid all the time. . . . .thesuperchargerstore.com. and could this be slapped on to a mildly beefed up bigblock without having to do any major work to engine? A buddy of mine also wants to put a supercharger on a pretty much stock 360 to gain some horses is that too possible?

the one your talking about is the vortech or the novi charger

I was thinking about how I would mount the sts kit. My car is raised quite a bit in the rear,because of my tires,, so this turbo would be able to be seen under the car, also my mufflers end right before the rearend and people now days will take anything , I fear it being stolen, since my car isn't always guaranteed a spot in my garage. Is there any other way to mount it so it wouldn't be seen??? Also. After I thought. About that I started to think super charger, not the roots supercharger, but the one that looks similar to a turbo but belt driven? What are your thoughts on those???. I know they are about a grand more,but wouldn't be paranoid all the time. . . . .thesuperchargerstore.com. and could this be slapped on to a mildly beefed up bigblock without having to do any major work to engine? A buddy of mine also wants to put a supercharger on a pretty much stock 360 to gain some horses is that too possible?
For a supercharger you have to run lower compression ratio like 8 to 1.

Interesting. I have a Duster and a T/A as well. I guess it's not as unusual as I thought. 8) I was considering an STS for my 2000 LS1 but I am worried about it sucking water as I live in Florida and the water gets pretty deep here in the summer monsoon season.

i have a solution for the water "concern". i have been through florida quite a few times in the last few years. i dont really worry about it but i wanted to do something different. i dont want to give it away just yet but if you hit my cardomain page up it will be on there before grm $2010 this year :)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3811736

and... vortech, procharger, paxton, powerdyne and others make centrifugal blowers. i have 2, a procharger p600b and a d1r. they are loads of fun as well. if concerned about thievery just make a cover for the turbo at the rear.

-
Back