stuck throttle!

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
I am not sure what all went down exactly. I backed the car up in the driveway so i would have a bit of room, never trusting things will go perfect . I was right! I was trying to test the airshifter , which i put on an MSD shift light circuit. i had the rpm set at 3200 so i could get it to shift and still hold the car, or if it moved, stop it. After backing up i let go of the transbrake button and the car launched like the throttle was wide open. When the transbrake is activated, an ACD throttle controller collapses to my preset launch setting. Either my foot got in the way, or the throttle stuck, and away we went! I had my foot on the brakes hard, but that is no match for almost a 1,000 hp!. I reached over and took a swipe at my switch panel, and hit the ignition switch off. I got it stopped about ten feet from the garage and trailer! All i can say is i say a prayer every time i get in that car, and I believe I got help!!!!!

PXL_20230605_154301387.jpg

Gosh Greg, that could have been SO much worse! I am really glad it was not.

Kind of like shooting, you always have to know what's on the other side of the target.

Glad it all worked out well.

I am not sure what all went down exactly. I backed the car up in the driveway so i would have a bit of room, never trusting things will go perfect . I was right! I was trying to test the airshifter , which i put on an MSD shift light circuit. i had the rpm set at 3200 so i could get it to shift and still hold the car, or if it moved, stop it. After backing up i let go of the transbrake button and the car launched like the throttle was wide open. When the transbrake is activated, an ACD throttle controller collapses to my preset launch setting. Either my foot got in the way, or the throttle stuck, and away we went! I had my foot on the brakes hard, but that is no match for almost a 1,000 hp!. I reached over and took a swipe at my switch panel, and hit the ignition switch off. I got it stopped about ten feet from the garage and trailer! All i can say is i say a prayer every time i get in that car, and I believe I got help!!!!!

View attachment 1716098538
My old racing buddy just got his 71 demon comp car back from the paint shop, $10,000 all black paint job in 1999. It had a b1 engine in it & he was warming it up, then he climbed in and before he got all the way in the car he slipped (wearing flip flops) he got his huge foot stuck in the safety loop on the gas pedal then he knocked the shifter into a forward gear and the engine was near the rev limiter. Then the car took off & got a 30-40 ft head of steam & it slammed into his brand new Durango and brand new trailer... everything had to go to the body shop again. All that seemed to take minutes but we all know it was about 2 seconds, I think what saved him from injury was the car boiling the cold tires on the slick garage and driveway.
Crazy **** can happen.
I'm glad you and your little bad *** are okay.

i ordered an MSD 8998 tester, which is supposed to test all aspects of my 7531 digital 7. better with the motor off, even though the tester was just shy of $400.00 The tester acts just like the car is running, can test rev limits, shift light rpm, everything, with the motor not running

DAMN. It’s scary for sure.

I made a change to the linkage on my tunnel ram for some reason. It was smooth as butter. I went to the track for some testing and during the first run I found out what happens when the flying toilets were sealed to the scoop.

It would actually push the hood down about an inch in the traps. That one little inch would now hold the linkage open.

Luckily, I had planned and dry tested for things like that and killed the mag and pulled the fuel off before I even realized I did it.

It was fairly quiet in the car and once I slowed down enough I heard the throttle linkage slam shut.

I had to modify the hood and the linkage so that wouldn’t happen again.

The moral of the story is some things can’t be dry tested. What happens to the car at speed may cause things to happen you‘d never think would happen.

DAMN. It’s scary for sure.

I made a change to the linkage on my tunnel ram for some reason. It was smooth as butter. I went to the track for some testing and during the first run I found out what happens when the flying toilets were sealed to the scoop.

It would actually push the hood down about an inch in the traps. That one little inch would now hold the linkage open.

Luckily, I had planned and dry tested for things like that and killed the mag and pulled the fuel off before I even realized I did it.

It was fairly quiet in the car and once I slowed down enough I heard the throttle linkage slam shut.

I had to modify the hood and the linkage so that wouldn’t happen again.

The moral of the story is some things can’t be dry tested. What happens to the car at speed may cause things to happen you‘d never think would happen.
very true That is why this rattled me like it did. I have run this same system for hundreds of runs, way back to 2005. But a thorough once over of everything is in order. Just before that, i found two problems with my front brakes! all fixed, but it bugs me i missed this stuff when I rebuilt them. With needing to test the shifter/rpm switch, I have decided to cancel this weekend. the next race at BIR is mid july.

I also ordered a morse cable to tie into the shutoff, and allow me to cut power or turn it on from the drivers seat.

View attachment 1716098538
Yikes! Looks like You'd have gotten the Mallachie Crunch between the garage & the corner of the trailer, Ya might've been trapped unless You could back it back out!!! Glad You, the car, & Your property are all OK!!!

your assessment is exactly what i thought. trapped, on fire, ugly end! my parts came yesterday for the shutoff cable to be installed next to the shifter!

Last edited:
-
Back