stupid GM HEI conversion

-
well, ive narrowed it down to either the Plug that goes into the mopar ignition box, OR, the pins on the box itself that the plug plugs in to.. I can get it running and wiggle the plug a bunch and make it die. When the engine dies i will have to wiggle the plug more to get it to start back up..I have another plug with the wires attached and tried it and its way worse, just barely touch it and it kills the engine. The original plug is hard to figure out which wire is killing it because i can wiggle them individual, or all together and sometimes it wont kill it and sometimes it will. No certain way to wiggle it or anything, i can just keep on messing with the plug for several minutes and sometimes it will kill it and sometimes it will, and again, way more sensitive with the other plug i tried..so, hard to say weather its the plug or the terminals on the mopar box itself..

Im still guessing the terminals on the box itself. The plug is molded and it would be tough for that to get a bad connection. With the exception right where the wire exits the rubber.

Im still guessing the terminals on the box itself. The plug is molded and it would be tough for that to get a bad connection. With the exception right where the wire exits the rubber.

Thats right where i mess with it and make it quit..

This thread sure took a turn, and glad the P.O. has identified the culprit. It started out sounding like a high-school kid going all Yosemite Sam at the first little install issue, but turns out mopower440 has experience trouble-shooting and was just venting.

More sensors are often needed to locate problems. Had there been a voltage measurement right at the HEI module, it would have been obvious. But, that isn't always practical so we must make guesses and wiggle wires. In a new engineering design, there are so many sensor wires you can barely see the patient. You remove them as you prove each part is doing its job.

It could also be the copper sleeves in the plug have spread open and causing an intermittant connection.
I have run across that with the distributor plug before.
With the distr plug you can just squeese the plug outer rubber and close down the sockets, but with the ECU plug I have used a test light point to reach inside and get between the rubber and the metal contact sleeve to close them down smaller so the get a good contact.

I ordered a new plug. Hopefully that cures it or it will be a waste of 25 bucks. Just really can't see it being the receptacle on the mopar box being I have the wires in the back soldered right into the pins and wiggling the wires I soldered has no affect on it, only wiggling the factory plug does..

Actually it's very efficient,,

Tell me,, when your unit breaks down on the street,,, do you tow it home?..
how long do you wait to get a new part..??

Can you walk to the closest auto parts supplier,, and buy that summit unit?? for under $20.

You can the HEI.. lol

hope it helps

To answer this statement. How many times have I EVER towed my mopar home? which now has a CDI ignition box? absolutly NONE. How many times has my 86 chevy truck killed a 4 pin module and left me completely stranded while i wait on a $40-50 module to cost me a call to AAA? about 3 in recent years.

The OP pulled one of these out of a junkyard for probably $10, then wasted a day messing with it. Then ended up buying a $40 new one anyways, which took more time. Kind of a silly tradeoff for something without a rev limiter, starter assist, or a LED signal indicator. When the summit box is $150. Which again, i have NEVER had fail.

And to the guy saying summit needs to pull those boxes? Please dont make the claims mallory still makes these boxes, and they they are junk, unless you have the facts. The ORIGINAL summit box ( probably 10 years ago now) was made by mallory. They were dropped immediatly once they experienced some issues. the NEW silver box has been made by MSD for probably almost a decade now. These are the little half truth rumors that dont need to be spread without knowledge.

I have run three of these now and had zero issues. Take that for what its worth.

But this is just my opinion, in MY experiences. no offense meant, just pointing out there are other options in this instance.

Sounds like you narrowed it down. Good for you. I knew you could. I've had stuff make me pull my hair out before too.

To answer this statement. How many times have I EVER towed my mopar home? which now has a CDI ignition box? absolutly NONE. How many times has my 86 chevy truck killed a 4 pin module and left me completely stranded while i wait on a $40-50 module to cost me a call to AAA? about 3 in recent years.

The OP pulled one of these out of a junkyard for probably $10, then wasted a day messing with it. Then ended up buying a $40 new one anyways, which took more time. Kind of a silly tradeoff for something without a rev limiter, starter assist, or a LED signal indicator. When the summit box is $150. Which again, i have NEVER had fail.

And to the guy saying summit needs to pull those boxes? Please dont make the claims mallory still makes these boxes, and they they are junk, unless you have the facts. The ORIGINAL summit box ( probably 10 years ago now) was made by mallory. They were dropped immediatly once they experienced some issues. the NEW silver box has been made by MSD for probably almost a decade now. These are the little half truth rumors that dont need to be spread without knowledge.

I have run three of these now and had zero issues. Take that for what its worth.

But this is just my opinion, in MY experiences. no offense meant, just pointing out there are other options in this instance.

No, i got both of them from the junkyard and neither one died, its the wiring as i stated above.

I don't think the guy that said that will see your post since it was a direct quote off a Honda tuner site in a discussion of how many he has noticed of the newer ones failing, including his new one.
He also said it was "rumored" that Mallory made them.

My bad. Lol I didnt mean to misquote. Im just in the parts industry and these little industry rumors amaze me.
Anyways op. Glad you solved your problem.

My take from all this.. There could be a fault hidden inside a molded rubber terminal or connector. I've seen stranger faults in factory harnesses.
With repeating problems, I can imagine a owner deciding that any ignition system would be better than what he had been dealing with.
So in the grand scheme of things, placing the different ignition system under the factory harness connector was the only bad move.
Good luck with it.

One wire hillbilly GM alternator system to? I cannot stand when Mopars are trashed with GM garbage

... I cannot stand when Mopars are trashed with GM garbage

Chrysler never made ignition boxes, alternators, and pretty much anything other than the body and drive-train. Today, there is an even more mingled international supply chain. Look at the scatter of vehicles the Takata "neck shredder" air bags went into.

Prove it.

Whats next.....small block shivy ?

One wire hillbilly GM alternator system to? I cannot stand when Mopars are trashed with GM garbage

You didn't look at the video,, did you??..

Your car is pure Mopar,, Battery, air filter, oil filter, mopar ignition, cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires, all Mopar,

nothing Fram, Wix, Accel , Mallory, Holley or ????

If I were to buy the aftermkt distributor on ebay that contains the HEI module,, does that count.. or is that okay..??

If you had a tune-up at a shop,, you may very well have Delco ign parts lol

I don't really give 2 *****, I just want the car to start when I want it to insread of cranking till the battery is dead. Even with the HEI, I bet mine is still more mopar than yours!

I don't really give 2 *****, I just want the car to start when I want it to insread of cranking till the battery is dead. Even with the HEI, I bet mine is still more mopar than yours!

I put one on my son's 340,, you never get to hear the gear reduction starter anymore,, it fires immediatly, cold or hot,,, hmmm... I kinda miss that sound.. lol

I suppose that'll be another reason to bash it,, you don't get to hear the starter crank anymore,, I suppose you could make a recording.. triggered by the key.. lol

All the way to the filter.

Its Mopar or no car.

Not Chevy in a Mopar.

Just funning with you guys. You can put what ever you want in your car, doesn't matter to me.

But don't tell me how great your system is, when the Chrysler elec ignition has been a proven system for millions and millions of miles. On and off the track.:prayer:

Attachments

• IMG_20141126_104837802_HDR.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 217
To the Op...

The standard ignition is a good system,, and if you are getting long cranking, I have to ask how long since it had a comprehensive tune-up.. plugs, cap, rotor, wires, timing, etc ? ?

It is important to have the motor in good tune in the first place,.

hope it helps

-
Back