Stupid H4 headlight question

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
I'm converting to H4 bulbs on my 'Cuda, as well as running the headlights off relays. The factory bulbs are in the 60watt range, the bulbs that came with the conversion headlights are 90/100watt. Any side effects of going to that wattage of bulb? Just a brighter bulb that demands more current, correct? I plan on wiring all new 12 gauge wire in/out of the relays, that should be able to handle it, it should just be a brighter bulb right?

This fish outta have artificial daylight coming outta it lol.

Other than the H4 conversion is not DOT legal and the extra brightness of the 90/100 watt bulb is apt to attract unwanted attention from the boys in blue.

open cutouts has the same effect, if they are gonna pull me over, its not going to be for too bright of headlights lol. Just looking for info on the wiring, thanks.

I'd supply the relays with a 10AWG wire directly off the back of the alternator (using a 20A circuit breaker for protection).

I run 80/100w H4 bulbs in my truck and love my "deer huntin' lights". Due to the superior beam pattern of a GOOD H4, dazzle of incoming traffic isnt an issue. Just aim the lights correctly and you should be fine. But on high beam, reflections from road signs might actually hurt your night vision, so dont go too nuts on the wattage.

Beware however of some of the H4 lamps out there. There are some that claim to be "Euro" which are illegal here as well as there (but you would be far more likely to get ticketed for driving with them there). The "diamond cut" crap as seen on eBay is a prime example. Also some "E-code" lamps may be for the UK where they drive on the other side of the road. Check out http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/codes/codes.html
for an explaination of headlamp codes.

And yes, H4 lamps typically are not DOT approved. 9003 lamps are however, and basically the same. A good H4 setup is a safety improvement, as long as you stay away from colored bulbs and other such detritus.

Thanks for the info. These arent a 'diamond cut' looking deal. Which is how i wanted it, they look fairly harmless. I daily drive my car, usually work nights...you can see why I'm looking to go brighter.

ff_1.jpg

I have Wagner Halogens in my 1964 Valiant,
I can see just fine with them.

They are brighter than the old GE Halogens that were in the car before.

-
Back