Stupid question about braided hose...

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
Get ready peanut gallery, free fodder .... This is actually a serious question.

What is the difference between the stainless ptfe lined braided hose in the plumbing department and the stainless ptfe line braided hose sold for fuel?

other then price and intended use?

The plumbing department PTFE could be a "food grade" PTFE. I've seen a lot of the recent Auto grade PTFE be a carbon filled PTFE to add chemical resistance, most notably to block fuel odor permeability.

In my experience, the cheaper the hose, the more problems you will have. And on another note, make sure all of the fittings are of the same manufacturer as the hose. Do not mix & match them. A good friend bought some inexpensive braided rubber hose & put it on his car with an aftermarket EFI system. After about a year, he noticed fuel seeping from the braid & pulled it apart to find the rubber liner had deteriorated. he called & asked my opinion. I suggested he go to Summit or Jeg's & buy a name brand PTFE lined hose & the appropriate fittings. It has been over 2 years now & there has been no further leakage.

Thanks gents, I hadn't considered the food grade part etc and only recently read up on AN fittings and how manufacturers aren't really on the same page with respect to "standards" so differences exist.

I know this stuff isn't the most expensive part to have to buy, so it's a simple matter of sucking it up.

What is the difference between the stainless ptfe lined braided hose in the plumbing department and the stainless ptfe line braided hose sold for fuel?
The teflon lined hose is made for hydraulics. It can be used for brakes with crimp fittings. It has a larger bend radius and is less tollerant of being installed with a twist in the line.
I'm guessing the stuff be advertized for fuel is a rubber line. Look at the specs for what its resistant to and temperature ranges. Often its the same as used for oil coolers, etc. Those are assembled with reusable fittings (and some blood sacrifice until you've appeased the gods of experience). For low pressure applications (such as feeding a carb at 4 - 6 psi) they can be used with hose clamps.

The teflon lined hose is made for hydraulics. It can be used for brakes with crimp fittings. It has a larger bend radius and is less tollerant of being installed with a twist in the line.
I'm guessing the stuff be advertized for fuel is a rubber line. Look at the specs for what its resistant to and temperature ranges. Often its the same as used for oil coolers, etc. Those are assembled with reusable fittings (and some blood sacrifice until you've appeased the gods of experience). For low pressure applications (such as feeding a carb at 4 - 6 psi) they can be used with hose clamps.
Every time a steel braided hose starts to leek/weep on my stuff, it gets replaced by Teflon hose . It is much,MUCH better stuff than the garbage rubber line.
I'm about to replace about 15 ft of braided rubber hose, that leaks like a fountain, with 1/2 "aluminum line.

I used Aeroquip push lock on my ‘74 truck. From the in tank pump to the engine, all -8AN.
Their socket less hose is very good.

44C7C3E9-A4AD-4977-834E-EE31512BF009.jpeg

Lots of helpful info and excellent examples of not being a cheap ***, lol.

Thanks everyone.

-
Back