Suggestions for cleaning exterior of 4spd

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Im trying to clean up the exterior of my 4spd with drill attachments, any suggestions??

Attachments

• DSCF4636 (Medium).jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 436
  • DSCF4637 (Medium).jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 428
Sure give up and hit it will a pressure washer!

I think I would power wash it first, then see what I had left to deal with. After getting it done hit it with the power wash again.

soap and water with a putty knife the bad spots and then power wash it!

then either just clear it or cast coat

I like the idea of oven cleaner above or maybe undiluted Simple Green with a small brush to scrub the crud off.

It doesn't look too bad to start with actually :thumrigh:

I was amazed at how well oven cleaner cleaned up a tranny of mine back in the 80s. I doubt oven cleaner is as harsh as it was back then, though.

OVEN CLEANER FROM THE DOLLAR STORE......set the trans in the hot sun let it get good & warm.......spray on the cheapo dollar store oven cleaner...( buy a few cans, they'er a dollar!) wait 10 - 15 spray it on again...another 10 - 15, repeat until you see the grease rolling down ( and IT WILL)
JUST make certain the you cover any vents or openings BEFORE YOU SPRAY oven cleaner OR water...might take a few cans but it will cut that $hit without a bunch of scotch pads and drills and putty knives and scraping and all that crazy stuff....it may also etch the trans and make it look very bright.....if not there is etching solutions you can buy readily that will do that

All ver good ideas, thanks guys/gals! I was more thinking of what to use for the rust removal. I already had the tranny shop give it a once-over so its good to go, now I just want to make it purty

Oh, well if that's the case I would use a small wire wheel on a drill or small grinder.

Cleaned the frame of a truck project with Dollar store oven cleaner and a pressure washer, worked well....

I reckon you cannot sand blast it? I have a 4 sp I want to clean up too. Would like to sand blast it so epoxy will stick to it nicely.

Cover the vents and openings and sand blast it. Should be ok if your using a small blaster and have everything covered.

Not too comfortable sandblasting it, dont want the mess...and neither do the neighbours LOL. I will try the cheap oven cleaner and scotchbrite.

Mine was in way worse condition than yours.
Start by sealing the speedo hole.
Oven cleaner,wire brush,putty knife,tooth brush,scotchbrite,hit it with a high pressure hose. Repeat if necessary.

Next put it where your going to paint it (preferably standing up) and hit it with brake cleaner so it runs from the top to the bottom.Let it dry. Now its clean.
Paint it with your favorite spray. This one is with Cast Blast.

Do you plan on rebuilding or putting new seals and gaskets in ?

There will be a little water inside. I would at least open the side case to remove the water.

For parts....Wayne at Brewers.

Attachments

• Hart Basketball 001.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 333
  • Hart Basketball 006.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 346
  • Hart Basketball 009.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 315
Hey JD, thanks for the pics! That turned out sharp!! Is that an engine stand you got it hangin off of?? I already had the tranny shop give it a once over, so I dont plan on opening it up...only to let out a bit of H2O...thanks!

By the looks of your 2nd pic, you need some new "O" rings on the 1-2, 3-4, and reverse shafts and the side cover gasket. Gonna leak again after all of that work.

Factory exhaust manifolds?
Ive seen a finish like that used on manifolds like my fact hp exhaust.. ,can it take the heat?:angry4: if not what do i use....
thanks

Hey JD, thanks for the pics! That turned out sharp!! Is that an engine stand you got it hangin off of?? I already had the tranny shop give it a once over, so I dont plan on opening it up...only to let out a bit of H2O...thanks!

Your welcome.
Yep that's an engine stand. Comes in handy.
Take the mounting bracket out of the stand.
Bolt it to the trans.
Lift it up, and slide it in the stand.

Factory exhaust manifolds?
Ive seen a finish like that used on manifolds like my fact hp exhaust.. ,can it take the heat?:angry4: if not what do i use....
thanks

Not for exhaust manifolds.
Use Eastwood high heat exhaust manifold paint for that.
They have a factory cast grey.

-
Back