Suggestions on building a Pro Touring 74 Duster

-

496 Duster

Reaction score
I have a rust free California 74 Duster with a 496. I want to make a Pro Touring cruiser without altering the body and need some suggestions. It has a shortened B Body 8 3/4 but looks like it could be shorter, anyone know how much to cut to get max tire and wheel size without mini tubbing and what size tire, rim, and backspacing. Also need a cage with the intent of cruising to shows with buddies and occasionally hitting the strip. Im also wanting to keep a stock looking dash but don't know if its easy to install the earlier years Rally Dash. Im also going to install the Hotskis TVS suspension system and 4 wheel disc brakes. Thanks for your help, Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0799[1].jpg
    60 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0803[1].jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0804[1].jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 218
Why not measure what you have and whatever you have to the springs just get wheels with that much more backspace.

I think I just need to get leaf spring offsets, not sure if the Hotckis spring are relocated or not. I have room in the wheel wells past springs. Since I already have moser axles maybe I should just go that route

With the customized axle, wheel/tire Q's will be a bit of a crapshoot. As for relocating the springs. Personally i wouldn't. The duster has a wheel well big enough to support 10" wide wheels with the right offset. with that width, you'll have more than enough grip for cornering.

I agree, you'll have to figure out how long the axle is before anyone can give you accurate information on the backspace you'll need. On a Duster I think a 68-70 B body 8 3/4 is actually ideal, with a 55" wide rear axle your backspace will closely match what you need in the front, between 6" and 6.4". Here are some stock B body measurements

B BODY- flange to flange
'62-'63= 53 1/4" (And '64 Max Wedge)
'64 = 55 5/8" (Exc. Max Wedge)
'65-'67= 54 1/4"
'68-'70= 54 15/16"
'71-'74= 57 7/8"
'71-'73 wagon= 59 7/16"

On a stock Duster without relocated springs you can fit 275's without hitting the springs or rolling the quarter lip with the correct backspace. I tested this on my '74 with a set of 17x9's with 275/40/17's and had an effective 4.75" backspace (5" with a .25" spacer). You can go wider on a stock Duster, but they'll stick out like yours do now, and the back of car will have to be pretty high to keep them from rubbing. If you want to lower the car and not have anything rub, 275 is about as big as you can go without relocating the springs or cutting/rolling the quarter lip.

-
Back