Suggestions Wanted For 408 Stroker Mufflers

-
The OP is putting together a stout stroker combo not a run of the mill pooch mobile wheezing through dinky 2-1/4” pipes. 2-1/4” pipes please.:rolleyes:

Not to mention it will sound like rappy brappy **** hitting the upper rpm’s just like all the other **** sounding cars and trucks running around with dinky pipes.
:rofl:
Minimum 2-1/2” and 3” if you can fit with something like Dynomax Ultaflos.:welcome:
Yeah, we settled in the Flowmaster Delta Flows with the Mopar exhaust tips. Gonna use an H pipe and let her breath!

Those are the mufflers I went with. I was able to swap the original ones back for them. 2 1/2” and a straight through design. Thanks!
Nice- you got the Delta Flow 40 series! Did you put them on yet? I have them on mine, and they sound really good.

After you get tired of the drone from those Flowmasters resonators will help

Hi Guys, I’m putting a brand new 408 in my 72 Dart Swinger. Backed up with a Billett hand built 727 and a 8 3/4” rear end with Sure Grip and 3:73 gears. It’s gonna be a monster! I brought a pair of Flowmaster 40’s to my mechanic and he told me they would be crazy loud. I’d like the motor to purr at idle and growl when ya give it gas, but I don’t want to be that asshole with the stupid loud car. I have the NOS exhaust tips. What mufflers would you use?
Thanks! And thanks FABO!
Not sure what @Fred Scigliano has on his 408 but it sounds great. You might ping him. He drives it all the time for multiple hour jaunts. Sounds great.

Here’s my new problem! I’m changing my 7 1/4 rear end to a 8 3/4” rear end. I want to keep the drums and SBP 14” wheels. How do I make that fit? Do I need a 10” rear drum kit?

Here’s my new problem! I’m changing my 7 1/4 rear end to a 8 3/4” rear end. I want to keep the drums and SBP 14” wheels. How do I make that fit? Do I need a 10” rear drum kit?
Just get yourself a 8 3/4 from an early A body and it should come with the proper hardware (it has been too long for me to remember if im running 9 or 10 inch drums on mine, but they are definitely SBP)

Yeah, I bought the rear housing and 489 separate. I have SBP axles, but 9” drums. I can’t find backing plates that will work. I’m actually hitting the home stretch though

I bought Pypes Street Pros since I have a 2.5" Pypes X Pipe system so I would not have fitment issues.
And canned the 40 Series Flows I was going to use.

I bought Pypes Street Pros since I have a 2.5" Pypes X Pipe system so I would not have fitment issues.
And canned the 40 Series Flows I was going to use.
I run with Pypes exhaust on mine and so far it's been good.

Done

Screenshot_20230225-093646.png

Guys make over 800 hp with 2 1/2" exhaust.. Doubt that a 450 hp stocker would benefit for 3"

Exactly how many “street” cars have YOU built with 3 or 3.5 inch exhausts that lost power?

I build nothing with less than 3 inch exhaust. Ever. And they aren’t down in power.

The number one killer of tuned exhaust is piss poor cam timing.

Blow the LSA out for idle “quality” and you can bet a 2 inch exhaust won’t make a pinch of **** of difference.

But get the cam timing correct and that tiny exhaust will kill it.

Its near impossible to see that in 2023 we still have guys stuck in the late 70’s and early 80’s thinking.

I have the TTI complete system with Dynomax 17733 14" mufflers on my '68. I understand the desire for a loud exhaust and maybe 2-5 more HP, but I really want the SBD effect on my Cuda. Silent But Deadly is much more interesting as no one expects you to have the power that you do. But I cannot find information on quiet mufflers as essentially everyone wants loud exhaust noise. A stock muffler is only 2 1/4" inlet and I need 2 1/2" to fit the system unless I use a reducer.

Just get yourself a 8 3/4 from an early A body and it should come with the proper hardware (it has been too long for me to remember if im running 9 or 10 inch drums on mine, but they are definitely SBP)
Almost positive a-body 8 3/4 had 10" brakes. 1 1/2 or 1 3/4. Narrower than b-bodies, for sure.

I have the TTI complete system with Dynomax 17733 14" mufflers on my '68. I understand the desire for a loud exhaust and maybe 2-5 more HP, but I really want the SBD effect on my Cuda. Silent But Deadly is much more interesting as no one expects you to have the power that you do. But I cannot find information on quiet mufflers as essentially everyone wants loud exhaust noise. A stock muffler is only 2 1/4" inlet and I need 2 1/2" to fit the system unless I use a reducer.
In my humble opinion, the secret to a good flowing, quiet exhaust is: get the right size pipe for the application, be it 2 1/2, 3, or whatever, and then get the biggest longest case you can get under the car. Pick the tone you want from the muffler style, straight thru, chambered, or triple pass (turbos).

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I’m putting a brand new 408 in my 72 Dart Swinger. Backed up with a Billett hand built 727 and a 8 3/4” rear end with Sure Grip and 3:73 gears. It’s gonna be a monster! I brought a pair of Flowmaster 40’s to my mechanic and he told me they would be crazy loud. I’d like the motor to purr at idle and growl when ya give it gas, but I don’t want to be that asshole with the stupid loud car. I have the NOS exhaust tips. What mufflers would you use?
Thanks! And thanks FABO!
On my 426 stroker I have long tube headers, 3 inch pipes all the way, with two resonators before the mufflers, 2 borla x mufflers and 2 resonators after the mufflers. It is still a little a bit loud with the stock insulation. On the outside it sounds awesome but inside I would like it a little bit quieter. If I was to do it again I would go with the dynomax turbo but the opposite side in/out so its the real design and not the split chamber one.
The gear ratio you mention for the diff will not allow yo to go low rpms in the highway, neet a much taller gear.

Hi Guys, somewhere their is a Flow sheet of all the popular performance mufflers tested for total flow. I think it's maybe on the Dyno Max page. Don't remember but many of the popular street/race muffs were tested and the results were very interesting as I have used many of perf. muffs sense very early 70's. Hope you all can find it. I just purchased the 3" dyno max a couple years ago and have a 40" straight before the muffs/tail pipes for helping scavenge. Good Luck

On my 426 stroker I have long tube headers, 3 inch pipes all the way, with two resonators before the mufflers, 2 borla x mufflers and 2 resonators after the mufflers. It is still a little a bit loud with the stock insulation. On the outside it sounds awesome but inside I would like it a little bit quieter. If I was to do it again I would go with the dynomax turbo but the opposite side in/out so its the real design and not the split chamber one.
The gear ratio you mention for the diff will not allow yo to go low rpms in the highway, neet a much taller gear.
What length resonators are you running? 12”?

-
Back