Suggestions Wanted For 408 Stroker Mufflers

-

72DartGuy

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I’m putting a brand new 408 in my 72 Dart Swinger. Backed up with a Billett hand built 727 and a 8 3/4” rear end with Sure Grip and 3:73 gears. It’s gonna be a monster! I brought a pair of Flowmaster 40’s to my mechanic and he told me they would be crazy loud. I’d like the motor to purr at idle and growl when ya give it gas, but I don’t want to be that asshole with the stupid loud car. I have the NOS exhaust tips. What mufflers would you use?
Thanks! And thanks FABO!

I've had 40 series on my street car for years with no complaints, but I've heard the Walker dynomax mufflers are quieter at idle and do make noise at WOT. 2.5 inch or 3 ?

Hi Guys, I’m putting a brand new 408 in my 72 Dart Swinger. Backed up with a Billett hand built 727 and a 8 3/4” rear end with Sure Grip and 3:73 gears. It’s gonna be a monster! I brought a pair of Flowmaster 40’s to my mechanic and he told me they would be crazy loud. I’d like the motor to purr at idle and growl when ya give it gas, but I don’t want to be that asshole with the stupid loud car. I have the NOS exhaust tips. What mufflers would you use?
Thanks! And thanks FABO!
I had 40's on my 408 Duster and they were loud indeed. Swapped them with Dynomax Super Sonic Turbo Mufflers and the sound is nice and mellow. Much better at lower speeds too (no droning).

The DynoMax turbo mufflers are the quietest that will still allow some performance out of that mill.

I personally love the Hooker Aero Chamber.

I’ve run both above.

Nice choices there! I hadn’t thought if Dynomax. Thought the Flowmaster 40’s would mellow a bit with dual exhaust, lol! So if Dynomax Turbo us the quietest muffler, what would be the next step up? I’ll Google them

Next step up from a turbo muffler is a chambered muffler.
I listed the Hooker Aero Chamber. I like it best with a center in and out. Best sounding muffler IMO.

After that, your liking at the straight threw glass pack style mufflers.

If you like the sound of a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster 40, look into the Pypes Street Pro mufflers. It's a similar sound, minus the loud drone at low RPM (at least on my application). Plus they're stainless, have a lifetime warranty, and are made by a FABO forum member (CCAS)

Here's a comparison video I took of my 340 when I swapped from flowmaster 40's to the Pypes Street Pros. If you're looking for best performance, you're better off choosing mufflers with a straight through design like some already mentioned.

Nice bro, nice!

Flow masters sound like there down a long tin hallway.

The Pypes sound like a tight drum where you can really hear he cylinder pulse and the blip of the throttle like a deep roar from a hoard of angry Vikings.

Wow, that’s on a 340! Those sound great, but both are a bit much for a daily driver! Really liked the Pypes!

If the video above mufflers are a bit much for daily driving….
Whew…..

The Dynomax turbo is for you. Try and fit the longest one you can under the car because case length has more of an ability to quite the car down. Also use an H pipe. That’s a few more pounds of torque and a few db’s quiter.

I’ve seen guys mention a Straight through design, like no offsets? I’m open to whatever works best. I have the real exhaust tips with the resonators. Not looking for loud, I’m looking for a comfortable little rumble that will get big when I get on it. Not looking for tickets!

Pypes makes a good turbo muffler too that's more mellow than their street pros.

Here's a comparison of their muffler designs. Really, it just comes down to personal preference. If you're not looking for anything special, maybe just buy a generic Summit turbo muffler and call it good.

1676938296887.png

Thanks for the help guys! I think I’ve got enough info here to figure out what I need. I’m looking for that quiet low rumble that gets in your face when you get on it. Best of both worlds, right? Happy neighbors, and unhappy Mustangs!

Ok, thanks guys! Magnaflow is probably gonna cover my bases. Quiet in the driveway, quiet in front of our Militarized scary cops, (look up La Mesa Ca) and loud when I want em to be. Perfect! Thanks guys!

You need the right Flowmaster. The Delta Flow 40 series is the right model. They are not too loud, and the sound is unreal. You don't want the standard 40 Series because they are too loud.

Check out the chart in post #17 in this thread. It compares air flow to loudness. And... make sure to read any post by @VOETOM he knows a thing or two about mufflers!!

Flowmaster drone solved.

I have Dynamax Super Turbos behind my warmed up 5.9. I like them, but sometimes wish they were a LITTLE bit louder. The Flowmaster 40's we obnoxiously loud and had a horrid drone!!

Flowmaster 40's behind my 408. 2.5" pipes with an X pipe. Phone audio not the best but...

Better audio, but at idle only.

Very comfortable inside, with Hushmat on the floor

Run a straight through muffler with no packing. Gibson, Borla, Magnaflow etc. Turbo muffs kill power and all of my chambered muffs ended up with loose baffles over time.

-
Back