Summit brand forged crankshaft

-
What IS on the same level as Molnar? Bryant? Maybe? Callies? Maybe? Carillo? Maybe? Molnar just might be the top of the heap.
Callies cranks are top of the line right along with Molnar.

Just had a molnar here someone brought with a package he purchased. You can see the counter weights were cut to bring it in balance. Rather then drilling big holes that catch the oil.

Although older purchases of the same cranks were good. All companies put out of spec products. You just have to be careful and check everything you buy today.

If you want a good piece have a machine shop order it for you. When they know its going to the builder and or balancer directly they do not send the defects because they know it will come back.

Molner is a real strong crank . Every company has their out of spec parts they don't want to eat.

Check out the heavy metal used in the crank out of a Kieth Black Top fuel Hemi in pictures 5 through 8. The counter weights are cut to move the weight to center mass

b2.JPG

b3.JPG

c1.JPG

c4.JPG

100_0088.JPG

100_0089.JPG

100_0090.JPG

20211006_180709.jpg

20211006_180723.jpg

So, who makes the Summit crank? Scat? Ohio? Molnar?
Most all summit brand parts are USA made or assembled here due to Tariffs. Even the timing chains which are good . Forgings are from China for most all crank suppliers .

The machine work is done in the USA. So quality is only determined by the machinist on that job/crank. Seen good and bad from all suppliers. Some really bad expensive cranks and some really good cheap cranks. Machine work and heat treat determines the quality. Some of these suppliers have Real idiots doing the work.

I ran into the same issues with interior pieces from reputable suppliers. Try to by from a 3rd party that will have your back on quality issues. Big companies could care less about the one time buyers. That is why not to buy direct if your not a frequent buyer for a business.

One thing I can tell you all is "Dantes parts" always stood behind what he sold for restoration parts. I like buying from a 3rd party like him.

"Summit Racing" is great. Like "Dantes" they will take defective parts back without question so we use them a lot. Also "Engine Tech"

Isn't a lot of infrastructure needed to produce a forged crankshaft, especially the dies? Would a Chinese company invest in this upfront cost for a likely small market (sell 100/yr?). Could some be sourced from OEM stock that was stashed, perhaps raw forgings still needing machining? I once worked at a company which made large valves. The way casting worked is a foundry holds the blanks (wood & leather) and sand-casts more bodies to order, then company would machine those. Similar to how circuit board manufacturing works. If my company didn't pay the storage fees, the blanks were scrapped. Some were ruined by rot while sitting in storage. I'm guessing forging with steel dies works similarly. Perhaps a company can order more raw forgings using the OE dies.

A quick search finds that Molnar crankshafts (post 27) are forged. They only state "finished in U.S.A", so likely forged overseas.

-
Back