summitt 750cfm carb thoughts?

-

ltrripp11

Reaction score
opinion here!! anyone used or had experience with the summitt 750cfm vac secondary carbs? just curious on thoughts on this both good bad or in-different? i presently have one and it seems ok but ive had nothing to compare it to powerwise and ive had suggestions and been beat down to swap it out for something better. its for a 416 stroker mild build.

Somebody on here went through two of them with bad luck. Caint remember who it was. I'm sure that doesn't speak about all of them. I was thinking about using one on my next project. It's a good design. The old Autolite Ford carburetors were like that and they were great carbs.

I have the 750 on my 318 and love it!!!!! Worked great right out of the box. I think they are rated a little larger than they are. The thing runs great. Awesome throttle response, prettygood fuel economy, was getting 16mpg with 3.55 gears. going 3.91s so im sure it will drop some. Im sure the annualar discharge boosters help make the carb work on the 318.

Is that the old 4010 design? works great on a solid mounting pad, but you cant run it on a weird carb pad like an MP dual plane that has the little boss for the driver rear carb stud without a plate. Most of the 4010/11 complaints were from leaking base gaskets due to the spiderweb casting on the bottom. but everything else on the carb was nifty, although the aftermarket pieces like shooters and the like were limited.

Summit carb is based on the Holley 4010, which was based more or less on the Motorcraft 4000 series. Nothing inherently wrong with the design. Holley dropped them and brought out the Avenger series carbs which appealed more to the Holley faithful, mostly because of looks.

I ran a 4011 on my truck for a while and liked it well enough. I'm sure they are built overseas. If Summit can keep up with of the quality control, they should sell and perform OK.

Im sure they are chinese, but mine works great. As for shooters and stuff they use interchangable jets, same as the air bleeds.

Somebody on here went through two of them with bad luck. Caint remember who it was. I'm sure that doesn't speak about all of them. I was thinking about using one on my next project. It's a good design. The old Autolite Ford carburetors were like that and they were great carbs.

Ask DusterDude72

YUP, I was the guy that went through 2 of them.

neither were 750's though.

a buddy of mine has a 750 summit and he loves it!

I absolutely loved the design....they were great looking carbs....and the price was GREAT.

but the issues I had with them were horrible and dangerous.

the first one.....I installed and the brass fitting that the fuel line threads into would not seal up due to a poor cast in the threads and kept dripping fuel....and on top of that the choke would not work because the plastic cam they used for the choke was either installed backwords or machined wrong...either way it was not right and it was making the choke housing overheat to the point it would burn you if you touched it (even with engine off at ambient temperature).

so i returned it for a replacement.

I installed it .....and this one POURED fuel out of one of the soft plugs that was in the body of the carb right above the rear fuel inlet. (yet another bad casting...and/or a bad plug .

ruined the paint on my intake and one of my valve covers.

called summit to get a refund and just so happened to get a customer service rep who treated me horrible (having a bad day or something).

called back and got someone who was much easier to deal with and got things straightened out.

bought an edelbrock ....installed it, worked perfect without a hitch.

I am not going to say they are ALL bad carbs.....I just might have got a string of 2 bad ones in a row......what are the odds lol.

but heck....for the price....and the warranty .....its worth taking the risk to get one.....if its no good or you don't like it....send it back.

Obviously they had some issues with quality control. It is a good design....even proven you might say. Hopefully they got all the bugs worked out.

Obviously they had some issues with quality control. It is a good design....even proven you might say. Hopefully they got all the bugs worked out.

X2

good design with tons of potential.

just quality control must have been lacking.....hopefully they are up to par now.

After reading your post a couple months ago, I was worried that I might have made the wrong choice. After bolting it on and it running perfect, right out of the box I was happy, havnt had any problems yet.

I have the 750 on my 318 and love it!!!!! Worked great right out of the box. I think they are rated a little larger than they are. The thing runs great. Awesome throttle response, prettygood fuel economy, was getting 16mpg with 3.55 gears. going 3.91s so im sure it will drop some. Im sure the annualar discharge boosters help make the carb work on the 318.

You have hte 750 on a 318? I was going to get the 600 for my 360, thinking I ran a Eddy 750 on a 340 and it was a little too big! How's your 318 built? I cant imagine a stock(ish) 318 needing a 750? Details please! If I'm getting one for my 360 I'm now re-thinking the 600...

Since Chrysler put 800 CFM carbs on stock 318s and they worked fine, I think one would take a 750 with no problem. Long as it's the right kinda carburetor.

I just went with a BIGGS 750, I paid the price for it, but if I need jets or air bleeds, he sends them right out to me.

You have hte 750 on a 318? I was going to get the 600 for my 360, thinking I ran a Eddy 750 on a 340 and it was a little too big! How's your 318 built? I cant imagine a stock(ish) 318 needing a 750? Details please! If I'm getting one for my 360 I'm now re-thinking the 600...

The carb works great on my 318. I think the carbs flow a little less than what they are rated, but dont know. I think the annular discharge boosters also help out alot! Drivability is great. Its just a 318 with 915 heads, cam with 216 at .050 .454 lift. 1 5/8 headers. 360 intake manifold with center divider milled out and a little portwork. 1" carb spacer.
I think the 750 will work great on a 360.

The carb works great on my 318. I think the carbs flow a little less than what they are rated, but dont know. I think the annular discharge boosters also help out alot! Drivability is great. Its just a 318 with 915 heads, cam with 216 at .050 .454 lift. 1 5/8 headers. 360 intake manifold with center divider milled out and a little portwork. 1" carb spacer.

Thanks! You just answered some questions I had on my PM back to you....now I've got some decisions to make.

i second this opinion, i had a moderate 318 (13.80's in a full interior 74 dart) that wouldnt run with a edl 600....threw that thing away and went with a holley 750 DP. it loved it.

now a quick hit on the summit carbs, can't go wrong with a holley based carb. i wouldn't hesitate to go with the 750, the mchanical secondary version of the summit 750 is even a double pumped...mech secondary might be a bit much but depending on the build, you engine might like it

i second this opinion, i had a moderate 318 (13.80's in a full interior 74 dart) that wouldnt run with a edl 600....threw that thing away and went with a holley 750 DP. it loved it.

now a quick hit on the summit carbs, can't go wrong with a holley based carb. i wouldn't hesitate to go with the 750, the mchanical secondary version of the summit 750 is even a double pumped...mech secondary might be a bit much but depending on the build, you engine might like it

I agree on the Holley based design...I've had great results w/ 650 DP's on my smallblocks, and even a custom built 650 HP on my 340 when Edelbrocks just didnt cut it. They ran fine, but just didnt perform like a Holley did. Just figured a 750 would be a bit much, especially a DP. The vac 2nd'ary maybe fine though. Basically trial/error is the best way to find out!

I agree on the Holley based design...I've had great results w/ 650 DP's on my smallblocks, and even a custom built 650 HP on my 340 when Edelbrocks just didnt cut it. They ran fine, but just didnt perform like a Holley did. Just figured a 750 would be a bit much, especially a DP. The vac 2nd'ary maybe fine though. Basically trial/error is the best way to find out!

now be careful here....the summit 750 with vac secondary is NOT a DP.....the summit 750 WITH the MECH secondary..IS a DP....just so u don't get a surprise outta the box

now be careful here....the summit 750 with vac secondary is NOT a DP.....the summit 750 WITH the MECH secondary..IS a DP....just so u don't get a surprise outta the box

Yea, I know....was just trying to say that the vac sec version may be better (less fat) than the DP (mech sec) version....

Boy, sure would be cool if someone did a 3-way comparison on these Summit carbs on a typical hot street smallblock. I'd love to see it!

thanks for all the feedback. ill prob keep what i have and dont feel im giving up much performance here then if any? car runs fine. thanks.

thanks for all the feedback. ill prob keep what i have and dont feel im giving up much performance here then if any? car runs fine. thanks.
I ran the Eddy thunder 800 vac sec on my 422 stroker and a holley 850 mech sec. If you want quick response to throttle, I would say the 750 or even 850 holley DP would be awsome on a 416. JMO!!

-
Back