SUPER CHARGER BIG PAIN IN THE A**

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
I got the bright idea of buying and installing a paxton supercharger on my 360. I figured it would be cheaper than having someone rebuild it with higher compression and get a little more HP out of it. First off some of the bracket spacers were not long enough. Luckly i have a friend who has a machine shop & is going to make some. Some of the bolts were the wrong length. Getting the correct length bolts no big deal. While im waiting for the correct spacers to be made i decided to put the crank pulley on that came with the kit. There is a long spacer that goes between the original style crank pulley and the SC pulley. GGGRRR now thats the wrong length. Its to short. To back up i bit. I had a heck of a time trying to find the correct crank pulley for my 360. Out of all the crank pulleys i had and a friend of mine had only one would work. I ended up using a shallow water pump pulley to work with my combo. Now back to SC issue. Looks like im going to have to locate a shallower crank pulley. Then that also means trying to find a deep water pump to go with it. LMAO Never thought it would be such a big pain in the a**

Have you called the Mfg to see what they have to say?
The guy i bought it from bought it new from summit racing. The car he bought it for he ended up selling. Its all new never used. The install parts were still in the bags.

The guy i bought it from bought it new from summit racing. The car he bought it for he ended up selling. Its all new never used. The install parts were still in the bags.

Doesn't mean it got boxed with all the right parts. I'd call the Mfg and see what they say. Might be as easy as them sending the proper spacers and brackets, might not, but I'd start with them.

Doesn't mean it got boxed with all the right parts. I'd call the Mfg and see what they say. Might be as easy as them sending the proper spacers and brackets, might not, but I'd start with them.
yea i plan on it from what i can tell from the install pics & pics on summit web site the SC crank pulley is the same dia. as the original crank pulley. The crank pulley i have is bigger & the SC crank pulley fits inside it. Also from everyones pics the water pump pulley they are showing is deeper than the one i have. Mine is really shallow. From what i gather the kit only comes with one length crank pulley spacer. It wouldnt surprise me that i have to find a different crank pulley. Then that means a different water pump pulley.

Do you have the p/n of the kit that you could post?

18BA2288-AA0B-4136-BBD6-8A0FD25C90A9.gif

These pulley spacers are stackable with “crank hub” pullies. They are available in different lengths and can be ordered with a 2.25” female register ( to mate up to a Mopar harmonic balancer) and a 2” male register.
B2785570-E16D-48CA-B731-4FF18A7B0D68.gif

You can then stack a variety of pullies. Pictured above is a single V belt with standard 2” registers. They are also available in double V belt configurations.
E7353012-8AE8-440C-9FA0-C5294B8BF615.gif

Then you can add a serpentine belt pulley to drive your supercharger.

https://goodvibesracing.com/Supercharger_Products.html

Do you have the p/n of the kit that you could post?
paxton supercharger kit 1201851-p what ive been finding is even though it says it will fit any mopar small block the kit is based on a 69 340 & pulley system Im installing it on 74 360 The pulleys system is different

Th
View attachment 1716237287
These pulley spacers are stackable with “crank hub” pullies. They are available in different lengths and can be ordered with a 2.25” female register ( to mate up to a Mopar harmonic balancer) and a 2” male register.
View attachment 1716237288
You can then stack a variety of pullies. Pictured above is a single V belt with standard 2” registers. They are also available in double V belt configurations.
View attachment 1716237296

View attachment 1716237287
View attachment 1716237288
View attachment 1716237296

The kit comes with a belt system The issue im having is the spacer that goes between the drive pulley & the original v belt pulley is to short. Also according to the pics on the install papers the pulley that comes with the kit is the same dia. as the original crank pulley. The pulley that came in the kit fits inside the original crank pulley that i have, inwhich is not right.

306893AB-B033-44DF-81B7-F2715DEEB1AE.jpeg
A9A8ECC4-7678-45E3-8406-E6C884DAE7C2.jpeg

For reference here’s the OP’s kit.
This is from the installation instructions;

• Accessory V-belts will vary per application depending on accessory configuration and supercharger pulley diameters

I figured out i need an extra 1/2in spacer for the crank pulley. So the same guy who made me the bracket spacers is going to make that one also.

While the crank spacer is being made i installed the oil line that goes from the oil sending unit to the SC. Then i decided to pull the oil pan down so i can weld the oil return bung on . The install papers said to punch a hole in the oil pan with a punch & the insert they give you would make its own threads. I dont think so. No way im doing that. So i had to take the steering link off, unbolt the headers off the heads & at the collectors, remove the lower starter bolt & loosen the top one just to take the oil pan down. LMAO

Wayne....I can't offer any help, but maybe give you a laugh. One of my best friends has a body shop, like you, and has painted his whole life. He was building a car several years ago and got the idea to put a Procharger supercharger on the 470 stroker he was putting in the car. He had all kinds of issues with the Procharger and it never worked as it should have. He finally gave up because he got disgusted with it. I remember him saying, "Installing a supercharger is about as frustrating as painting a car for a used car lot after they've already detailed it with Armor All from a spray gun!" I guess fooling with a supercharger equals the same level of pissed offness as fish eyes...lol. Best of luck to you, and hope you get it worked out.

:thumbsup:

Wayne....I can't offer any help, but maybe give you a laugh. One of my best friends has a body shop, like you, and has painted his whole life. He was building a car several years ago and got the idea to put a Procharger supercharger on the 470 stroker he was putting in the car. He had all kinds of issues with the Procharger and it never worked as it should have. He finally gave up because he got disgusted with it. I remember him saying, "Installing a supercharger is about as frustrating as painting a car for a used car lot after they've already detailed it with Armor All from a spray gun!" I guess fooling with a supercharger equals the same level of pissed offness as fish eyes...lol. Best of luck to you, and hope you get it worked out.

:thumbsup:
lol i feel his pain

-
Back