Super Six Truck Conversion Question.......

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
...or any Super Six conversion really. I could get ideas from any conversion. But here's what I'm helping a friend with. Built a slant 6 for a member going in a 1980 D150. His is a 225, 1 barrel, 727. Have any of you converted the factory one barrel kickdown to use with the Super Six two barrel? Have pictures of what you did? Thank you drive through.

I converted a 1-barrel intake to a 2-barrel as shown in an article on SlantSix.org years ago on my van like this:
AC8BA891-7C02-4126-A04C-7F45E5496370.png

and being the throttle of the 2-barrel was essentially in the same location and rotated the same as on the 1-barrel i was able to use my entire 1-barrel throttle linkage and kick down by only bending the rods from the bell-cranks to the carb IIRC. Got pictures of how the trucks linkage orients on the 1-barrel? I’d think with some additional or repositioned small bell-cranks and a few Hillman brand small ball joint rod end bearings and some rods you could improvise to get the linkage to work?

I converted a 1-barrel intake to a 2-barrel as shown in an article on SlantSix.org years ago on my van like this:
View attachment 1715812583
and being the throttle of the 2-barrel was essentially in the same location and rotated the same as on the 1-barrel i was able to use my entire 1-barrel throttle linkage and kick down by only bending the rods from the bell-cranks to the carb IIRC. Got pictures of how the trucks linkage orients on the 1-barrel? I’d think with some additional or repositioned small bell-cranks and a few Hillman brand small ball joint rod end bearings and some rods you could improvise to get the linkage to work?
I do not. I only have the engine here. The truck is in a different location.

Making a kick down is very tricky as the geometry is different than the throttle..
I did it on my wife's 273 when I put a four barrel on it..

How about extending the rigid 2bbl style kich\kdown rod with a V8 style "slotted eye" to reach the 1bbl throttle arm so it has free travel until it gets to 3/4 throttle and then it pushed linkage down? It would only swing about an inch and that could be handled by the lower bellcrank rod mount. Bike brake cable mounted in a pull/pull would do the job for about $6 and have infinite adjustablilty, just loosen wire and pull to spec then tighten screw.

Thanks yall. This is helping!

Watching. For when I eventually finish the engine swap in my 85 D150. The new engine will be a super six.
I have been looking around here and there for ideas on this same subject since I started this mess, at one time there was a couple of cables listed on ebay exactly for 904/727 kickdowns, much cheaper than any Bouchillon or Lokar setup.
My son put Bouchillon setups on a 440 in a C body and on a small block in a ramcharger and both looked more cobbled together than some of the worst backyard hacks I have ever seen but they work, at least, I guess.
When the swamp created by almost 5" of rain recently dries out I do want to go to the local junkyard and pull a few cables from newer Dodge trucks (last time I was there they had a bunch of 90s stuff) and see what I can do with them on this truck. Only problem is getting underneath access to dismantle the trans end of anything I find because these guys set everything on the belly's, no stands like the u pulls up north. But in the u pulls 90s vehicles are all but extinct already. One other thought/ the same setup should work on a 727 as would work on a 904 right?
I remember swapping out engines and tranny's on 70s/80s vehicles, and the factory rod linkages being somehow different between the 2 tranny's?

You could just tie the lever all the way back then release it a lil so it shifts automatically. The 727 will take that for years. Come to think of it, my Smoggerteen/904 did too, but it had HD clutches and a shift kit with a 2800 TC, lol.

-
Back