Super six van

-

Phily

3XL, loud pipes, loud music, loud weed
Reaction score
So I finally got to check out one out of the two vans I may be picking up. it looks good and from what I hear the other looks about the same.
So I pop the hood and it is the six like I was told. So I go inside the van and the lid for the motor was already opened just not taken off. So I pull it back as far as I can and use my lighter for light and in the intake cleaner it says super six. Next thing u know I'm pulling the lid so I can look down into the carb and it really is a 2bbl. Woo hoo I'm in luck. I'll be checking the other van this weekend. Let's hope it has the super six as well cause in taking the SS intake manifold and carb and hooking it up in my dart. I'm hoping both are as as I plan on fixing one van and selling it then parting out the other unless it shows promise. If so I may get it running and either sell or keep it. Probably sell it tho. The guy selling is trying to get 400 for the pair which ain't bad but my buddy said the owner is only wanting 100 for the pair. I dont mind paying the middle man some cash but not 3xs what the owner is getting. I'm gonna try to talk him down or I'll go straight to the owner. I may give him up to 300 I know I'm a tightwad but I wouldn't up the sell on someone like that even if I didn't know him. Especially when they would also have to deal with the owner but separately. Am I wrong for that.
O well anyone else see the SS in a b100. These are owned by a sheriff or ex sheriff so I was wondering if the don't come stock like that maybe it's a police package or someone added it. If they just came stock like that I'm surprised more haven't noticed em

The Super Six on a B van is very very rare. The air cleaner is a van only piece and the kickdown linkage (if it is an automatic) is also a van only piece.

Most people who wanted more power back then just got a V-8 rather than the Super Six.

Now that I think about it, I believe the van super six air cleaners did not have a decal on the air cleaner lid, but the air cleaners were offset to clear the engine cover. If you get the van post a picture of the air cleaner. If it matches the pasenger car air cleaner then someone added the sSuper Six to the van using passenger car parts and it isn't a factory installation.

Here is the base to a factory B van Super Six air cleaner:

Homadeaircleaner.jpg

You can see the opening for the carb is clearly offset to clear the engine cover. Because most B vans equipped with a Super Six were built before Dodge put factory cold air intake systems on the air cleaner, I drilled the factory snorkel off the air clenaer and welded on one from a later B van so the air cleaner could use the factory cold air intake system.

Here is a comparison of the factory car and truck Super Six air cleaner with the factory B van Super Six air cleaner:

sscleaner1.jpg

The B van air cleaner is clearly offset. This is one of only two only B van air cleaners I have ever found and I installed it on my brother's van.

It looks like the one on the left. It was I in blue I didn't see the whole thing just that it said super six and the likes like the left one and I wasnt paying attention to if it was offset but now that you mention it I think it was

And I will definitely post some pics if both vans.

So I went back and checked on the first van then drove another 20 minutes it seemed to check on the other bought them both and almost got stuck lol. Big properties where no one drives and your in a minivan doesn't work for most ppl. But I got it all worked out. Just need to grab the titles and work something iut with a buddy to get these things moved back to my house. Will take probably 3 hours driving but after trying to get these vans up on the trailer and strapped down probably about 5 hours total to get them home.
So the first van is a b100 2bbl on the sticker on the hood with all the info. So it came stock with the super six set up. The auto choke on the exhaust was missing so I'm sure more is. Auto 3speed on the floor I believe. I should have taken pics. Been hit in the back. I'll look around the frame for damage but I'm probably gonna take it for parts. Didn't really check the rear end size on either especially this one. I just want a few things from it.
Now the second one I liked. Had the longer rear end. I didn't go pulling things out to check everything in the rear but there was a bed lol. I think someone added the wood panel trim inside and I think it was all insulated. But it all looked clean from what I could tell. There had been some Bondo put in it but over all not bad. I might be able to take the grill from the other and out it on here. Only problem is the 360 that is in it is in pieces behind the driver's seat. Valve cover, intake manifold, 2bbl Holley carb, I didn't notice the timing chain or such being there. Seats are in excellent condition same as dash. Actually the dash was looking pretty bad ***. Might change if cleaned up.
Now the real things about this if they are in good order is the a727 tranny and what appears to be a Dana 60 9 3/4 rear end. I just remember it looking huge and an odd shape and since all the rest are pretty semetrical, well u know what I'm getting at.
Now if the block and heads are in good order we might be in some luck. I don't have much care to keep either van. I'm taking the super six setup and gonna get it to work for my fiance's dart. Which head to use idk really. Might take the rear end for the dart out of the small van. And that's really it that I want from it.
As for the bigger van I may fix it up for a friend in need or just part it out if it's to much of a hassle

Cool. The van kickdown linkage will not work on a passenger car, but I would be interested in buying it if you are willing to sell it. If you end up parting out the rear-ended van you should post parts over on www.vanning.com Lots of guys are always looking for parts for the 71-77 Dodge vans.

If you need to get the choke thermostat, get a modern adjustable one from www.carbsonly.com It will actually work and it is adjustable. Well worth the purchase price.

So I was wrong about the b100. There is a clutch pedal. The clutch pedal is not hooked up to the tranny tho. Should have it home tomorrow. Might see what I can do to get it running. If it runs better Tha. What's in the dart then I'm gonna a pull it asap and tear the darts motor apart.
The rear end is oval with 10 bolts. By the pics online it looks like an 8 1/4. I measured from drum to Dru. And got 58". The dart has a 7 1/4 and measures about 52". Tires look like they could go out a bit more and the 3" extra looks like it would make a decent fit. What do you think.
Will the air cleaner not fit under my hood for the super six from the van? What about the brake proportioning valve can I use the vans?

IMG_20170510_203155.jpg

IMG_20170510_203124.jpg

IMG_20170510_202553.jpg

IMG_20170510_202520.jpg

IMG_20170510_201932.jpg

IMG_20170510_202352.jpg

If the air cleaner on the van is not offset, then it should work on your Dart. if the van is an automatic, then the kickdown linkage will not fit on the Dart. I think the rear axle from a van is a bit wide for an A body. You will definitely have to reweld the spring perches.

Ya It has been mentioned a few times to me about the kickdown linkage.
If I remember the air cleaner is offset

So I had to put the spare on from my grand caravan another and tire from my van also cause the van was to wide to fit on the trailer. So I was following my bro in law and since I took a tire from the b100 and put on my van to drive I got a flat tire. Never easy. Now we have to unload this damned thing when I get home and pull my tires back off and put back on my grand caravan.
Also looking at my 3 week old brand new tires the fronts are half way gone wtf. Spend 400+ for tires that won't last bit a few months. What am I supposed to do **** me running

holy cow, what a sweet van.

if possible i would restore the van as is, those are getting hard to find and are mega cool.

i have been looking for one like that but CL seems to be loaded up with the newer mini vans these days

It is getting parted out so if u ur interested I could sell it to ya. I just want the rear end and motor. I could throw my 7.25 under so u could get it into a trailer. 300$. Basically buy the tranny and get the rest for free in a sense

-
Back