Supply issues woes

-
Man that’s crazy. It’s almost to the point where once you get the parts for your build you have to order stuff for your next build. What type of piston are you waiting for.
Custom pistons from Ross .030 over for 5.7 hemi 13.5:1 compression.
Actually B.E.S. racing engines in Indiana ordered them for me. Ross won't make them for me, has to be for an engine builder.
I emailed B.E.S. today and asked them if they have a used racing motor or a short block that they could sell me. I really need to get back on the track.

I finally received the dist. cap that I have been waiting for 7 months. Now I want to convert my 69' 340 Swinger from drum brakes to disc. I have the parts from a 70' that should be a direct fit, but I do need some basic parts that I'm afraid to order anything now if I have to wait months to receive. Some parts I know I will need are, soft lines from body to caliper, rebuild kit for Kelsey Hayes calipers, proportion valve, master cylinder (maybe just a rebuild kit) and rotors, if I can't clean up the ones I have. I'm sure I'll also need to replace the brake lines while replacing the proportion valve. If I can't get all of these items at the same time, I'm in a bind. What are your thoughts on this? Should I take a chance and start the teardown or buy the parts first? Buying first may give me extra parts. Maybe better extra, than none at all.

UPDATE:
The pistons from Ross have shipped! They go to B.E.S. 1st then get shipped to me. I should have them in about a week.

I finally received the dist. cap that I have been waiting for 7 months. Now I want to convert my 69' 340 Swinger from drum brakes to disc. I have the parts from a 70' that should be a direct fit, but I do need some basic parts that I'm afraid to order anything now if I have to wait months to receive. Some parts I know I will need are, soft lines from body to caliper, rebuild kit for Kelsey Hayes calipers, proportion valve, master cylinder (maybe just a rebuild kit) and rotors, if I can't clean up the ones I have. I'm sure I'll also need to replace the brake lines while replacing the proportion valve. If I can't get all of these items at the same time, I'm in a bind. What are your thoughts on this? Should I take a chance and start the teardown or buy the parts first? Buying first may give me extra parts. Maybe better extra, than none at all.

I know this a few weeks old, but you can get all the parts (minus proportion valve) at rockauto.

Joe

I know this a few weeks old, but you can get all the parts (minus proportion valve) at rockauto.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I do use Rock Auto often, but they only have half of what I need, brake lines (2) (rubber) and caliper rebuild kits. You are correct, they don't have PV or master cylinder. I may need rotors, but the ones I have appear to be good, but need a cleaning (surface rust), which they also don't have.

Thanks Joe, I do use Rock Auto often, but they only have half of what I need, brake lines (2) (rubber) and caliper rebuild kits. You are correct, they don't have PV or master cylinder. I may need rotors, but the ones I have appear to be good, but need a cleaning (surface rust), which they also don't have.
You're right, I screwed up, looked at the wrong master cylinder. :(

Or not. May 21st and no pistons delivered yet. :BangHead:
The pistons are here! Took them to Eaton engine balancing, he will weigh everything and make sure the crank is right, then the motor gets put together.
20220523_153125.jpg
20220523_153728.jpg
20220523_153740.jpg

If you look down by my thumb in the photo you will see that the hole for the wrist pin goes through the oil ring groove, thus the need to include oil ring support rails with the ring set. Guess what Ross forgot to put in? Engine balancer caught it. Should have some on the way to him. Another delay....
20220523_153740.jpg

If you look down by my thumb in the photo you will see that the hole for the wrist pin goes through the oil ring groove, thus the need to include oil ring support rails with the ring set. Guess what Ross forgot to put in? Engine balancer caught it. Should have some on the way to him. Another delay....View attachment 1715936276

What’s your rod length and combo. I ran into that for the first time on my 572. It has 4.5 bore, 4.5 stroke, 7.150 rod.

I’m in the industrial supply industry. Things seem to be improving fairly quickly from last year but it’s still very fragile. If another war fires up or a government issues more restrictions then it’s going to go back to 2020. I’ve heard every excuse under the sun the last two years. Ports closed, ports understaffed, borders closed, driver shortage, Texas freeze, plant shut downs. A lot of our steel comes from China and the stuff that doesn’t comes from two big companies in the US. The US boys know when China is struggling so they play games with supply and pricing. Announce increases then put customers on allocation for two months before the increase hit. It chokes supply until they can open the flood gates at the higher price. Its all a big game and everyone is enjoying it besides the end user. During Covid and then “supply chain issues” the steel boys are making record breaking sales. Throw 8.5% inflation on it and it’s easy to see this ride ain’t going to last long.

great post. Not surprising at all in regards to steel. Simple supply and demand.

Got some scat i beam rods in 3 days, arrived today. lunati cam in 2 days.
timing chain and rocker arms in 3 days from mancini. I just find stuff that’s in stock.
Ordered some mahle pistons that seemed to be on backorder but i wanted the lower price so i am taking a gamble on that one. Luckily not in a rush.

great post. Not surprising at all in regards to steel. Simple supply and demand.

These manufactures don’t want you to know this but steel is coming down. They don’t come out and tell us pricing is sliding but on the invoices it gets lower and lower. They put out a 5% increase at the beginning of May and it still put me lower than I was in January. Good news for steel but now the drywall guys are bending us over.

timing chain and rocker arms in 3 days from mancini. I just find stuff that’s in stock.
Ordered some mahle pistons that seemed to be on backorder but I wanted the lower price so i am taking a gamble on that one. Luckily not in a rush.
Wish I could do that but there were only 2 piston manufacturers Supplying these pistons to BES and they are a custom order since nobody is producing off the shelf pistons for non stock stroke and compression for Gen III hemi. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I would have just found a 360 and built it for racing.

Ordered some mahle pistons that seemed to be on backorder but i wanted the lower price so i am taking a gamble on that one. Luckily not in a rush.

oh yeah, got a custom converter for a 727 from Dynamic in about 2 weeks. late last year...

-
Back