[WANTED] SURE GRIP

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out Doctor Diff
I just installed one of his Sure Grip units in my 8 3/4, so far so good.

sure grip or track lock? Cone or Clutch style. 741 and 742 early diffs were track lock. Later 489's came with un-rebuildable sure grips.. Big difference in quality and price. Look for one with clutches. Your be happier.

I had a new Auburn unit in my 4X4 truck. I got stuck with two wheels on the pavement. A good clutch style would have pulled right out.

A guy had a auburn in a small block gremlin. Did a 90 shifting second when the front got light and went through a house.

Choose wisely with what you plan to do with the car. If you drive it like you stole it buy a clutch style. You can tell the difference by the bolts. if all the bolts are behind the ring gear. its a cone style. if they are on the opposite sides its the better clutch style.

First picture is a 741, 742 clutch style track lock rebuildable at home, Second is a 489 cone style sure grip that can be repaired at a machine shop grinding the cones and shimming the springs once.

download (5).jpg

109_0476.jpg

The Mopar clutch type was the Dana Power Lock, not the Track Lock. The Track Lock is the weaker 2 pinion unit, whereas the Power Lock is the stronger 4 pinion. Mopar didn't use the 2 pinion that I'm aware of or have ever seen......not that that means a darn thing.

Last edited:
thats whats in it now kinda wanted to drive it on street some
Get a clutch style. I only have one left or I would offer one . I have a couple cone type but I don't trust selling them I don't remember if they worked.

A spool was partly to blame for my car getting wrecked

You won't find a much better deal on one than what Dr. Diff offers. Most good used factory clutch type sure grips go for $350 or higher nowadays. Dr. Diff sells new ones for about $380

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back