SureGrip Additive

-

scatpakman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm putting together my 8.75 and I'm ready to fill the "diff". Does anyone know if I have to put an additive in for the sure grip? If so, what do you recommend? I checked Royal Purple and it looks like nothing else is needed.

I'm putting together my 8.75 and I'm ready to fill the "diff". Does anyone know if I have to put an additive in for the sure grip? If so, what do you recommend? I checked Royal Purple and it looks like nothing else is needed.

I absolutely swear by the Mopar additive.........it is simply the best.

Yes,if you have a sure-grip?you need to put in the additive!

For clutch type diffs you need a friction modifier. I use Mopar brand in which you can buy at your local dealership.

How about for the cone type sure grip...still needed ?

With the cone type yes. Now I would highly recommend not running synthetic gear oil in the cone type. Auburn gear makes cone types and they say DO NOT run synthetic gear oil. I don't like Auburn anymore... I bought a carrier for my truck and it broke in about a year and half! Those things aren't cheap and I had to pay labor twice!!!! :angry7:

A bottle of friction modifier from your local (ack) Ford dealer will do the trick too.

Maybe a dumb question here but......we put the rearend in the Demon about 2 years ago. I can't remember if we put the additive in or not.....:tongue3:

Can I add a bottle just to be sure?

It can't hurt. Although without it the rearend would probably chatter when you turn a corner. Some synthetics have the friction enhancer built in. Maybe that's what you put in yours? JMO

It can't hurt. Although without it the rearend would probably chatter when you turn a corner. Some synthetics have the friction enhancer built in. Maybe that's what you put in yours? JMO

Just used regular gear oil 85-90 weight. Hmmm, did hear something on the maiden voyage in the parking lot....LOL

Thank you. :cheers:

Read the bottle of gear oil you are using, some come with the additive already in them.

i always use it even if the gear lube has some in it. last time i used the ford stuff because they had it in stock and the chrysler dealer didn't. looked and smelled like it was the same as the chrysler stuff.

The part number on the bottle of Mopar Limited Slip Additive I have is 04318060AB.
And the Directions about how much to use is written on the bottle too.

Little tip about checking for lack of Sure-Grip additive lthat I learned a long time ago. On a really smooth slap of concrete, crank the steering wheel all the way to the stops while 3 friends push the car backwards. If you feel or hear anything unusal, it is probably the clutches chattering. Having the engine off allows you to feel and hear stuff a lot better.

Just used regular gear oil 85-90 weight. Hmmm, did hear something on the maiden voyage in the parking lot....LOL

Thank you. :cheers:

That was probably just BOTH wheels grabbing asphalt!!!LOL!! Go go gadget Suregrip!!! Geof

-
Back