surface rust on chrome.

-
Turtle wax chrome polisher has rust remover. Works well. Only 5bucks.

^^^
^^^
^^^
YES.

If you go with this method, you can use a microfiber towel.

I use this stuff to remove surface rust from parts on mild resto work (some seatbelts, cleanup jobs for customers who don't want to spend the cash to get it dipped, etc.)

It's also awesome to keep around the house. It removes grease stains from things like waffle irons, tea kettles, etc. Nothing else that I've tried removes carbon from exhaust tips like this stuff does with a microfiber towel and there is absolutely no risk of scratching or swirling.

That Turtle Wax,looks,smell,and cuts like the old Dupont no.7 chrome cleaner,from the days past.

^^^
^^^
^^^
YES.

If you go with this method, you can use a microfiber towel.

I use this stuff to remove surface rust from parts on mild resto work (some seatbelts, cleanup jobs for customers who don't want to spend the cash to get it dipped, etc.)

It's also awesome to keep around the house. It removes grease stains from things like waffle irons, tea kettles, etc. Nothing else that I've tried removes carbon from exhaust tips like this stuff does with a microfiber towel and there is absolutely no risk of scratching or swirling.

Yup.
Fun part is that my buddy spent 4 times (in price and effort) as much as I did. Showed him and he was peeved about his method.

Can take better photos, but here's an example of light surface rust that polished up very well. http://imgur.com/a/l7e2V

I have been using fine steel wool or SOS pads for 30 years and have never seen it damage any chrome. They both work great as long as only used on chrome or stainless trim as it is harder than the steel wool. Stay away from your paint, taillights etc. though.

Hate to go against the grain here, but......I would NOT use steel wool!! Steel wool comes in different coarseness and will scratch chrome unless you can find a very soft one. I think even the softest can still scratch it though. I would only go with steel wool if it the chrome is already damaged and/or pitted a bit.

Chrome plating is much harder than steel. That's one of the main reasons truckers dip 90% of their big-rigs in the stuff! 0000 won't scratch it unless you REALLY scrub the plunk out of it. By the time it would start working into scratches, you will have had the rust problem solved 4 hours ago. ;)

Or you can use NevrDull, which is basically steel wool, cotton, and a chrome polish/treatment.

Work smarter not harder, through metallurgy! :)

- CK

Chrome plating is much harder than steel. That's one of the main reasons truckers dip 90% of their big-rigs in the stuff! 0000 won't scratch it unless you REALLY scrub the plunk out of it. By the time it would start working into scratches, you will have had the rust problem solved 4 hours ago. ;)

Or you can use NevrDull, which is basically steel wool, cotton, and a chrome polish/treatment.

Work smarter not harder, through metallurgy! :)

- CK

Never dull is the real deal.

I use 0000 steel wool on chrome at my shop all the time but I dont use it dry. WD40 and 000 will clean the chrome up. Wipe it down good and wax it after.

-
Back