swap a 273 for a newer magnum 318

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
I want to swap out my old 273 in my 65 barracuda 4speed for a 1999 318 out of a dakota. Will I just be able to swap out like an older small block or what. Are the motor mounts in the same position and will the 65 4speed trans fit properly?
I can get the motor for a good price and it has low miles. I know I will have to get rid of the fuel injection on the motor and replace the ignition. Any other issues?
Dan

Dakota mounts are in a different position I think. You need to run an electric pump and keep the logs as they fit an A. Crosswind intake has dual intake bolt patterns.

I plan on this swap one day. From what I understand and this is not to be taken as knowledge just what I have read. The 273 mounts will work on the mag block but the right side needs a triangle cut and moved to the front side of the mount and rewelded there. The left mount will need washers stacked to take up space in one bolt. You will need to run an inline electric fuel pump. Use the neutral balance flywheel and the 273 bellhousing. The 273 oil pan should work not sure on that. You will need a mag specific intake. Use the front off the 273 so your radiator and all will stay the same. You can use the exhaust manifolds from the 273 and I am not sure but using the 273 timing cover you may be able to transfer the ecentric for the fuel pump to run a mechanical on the mag motor. That should about cover it.

I've decided to look for an older commando engine or just build a 318 with a little more compression and a lumpy cam..That worked for my wife's 65 barracuda.

That is what is in my 65 318 rebuilt. Paint it red, use 273 valve covers and exhaust manifolds, most cannot tell the difference. It runs better and has much more potential, mine just ran mid 15's a few weeks ago at Eastern Mopar Classic at MIR. Most people there thought it was 273 and I let them think what they wanted!

That is what is in my 65 318 rebuilt. Paint it red, use 273 valve covers and exhaust manifolds, most cannot tell the difference. It runs better and has much more potential, mine just ran mid 15's a few weeks ago at Eastern Mopar Classic at MIR. Most people there thought it was 273 and I let them think what they wanted!
When you say "most cant tell the diff between a 273 and a 318", what exactly are the tattle tale traits of the 2? Is it the number of motor lugs that attach to the mounts? Thats all I can see, if they are even different at all (273 had 4?)

-
Back