Swap time

-

Shamrock--WV2NC

Reaction score
Hey all. Swapping the 318 for the 360 in my 74 Dart. I believe I have everything it takes for the swap. In order to get my headers to fit I’m thinking I need a mini starter and some kind of oil filter thingy. Lol. It’s an 86 360. The headers are Hookers 5901.

Three things to be aware of .....Driver side motor mounts are different between a 318 and 360

you must address the externally balanced 360 using the correct balancer from the 360

and using the correct flexplate and/or torque converter.....

I don't know about the particular headers you are using, but all the headers I've installed, I didn't need a 90* oil filter adaptor nor did i need a mini starter (although the mini starter makes sense more than 1 way).

Three things to be aware of .....Driver side motor mounts are different between a 318 and 360

you must address the externally balanced 360 using the correct balancer from the 360

and using the correct flexplate and/or torque converter.....

I got the motor mount, oil pan, oil pick up and flex plate. I can use the stock manifolds off the 318 but really wanna get these headers on. That’s why I’m trying to figure out if it can work and if so what do I need to do to make it possible

318willrun just seen your response. Then it looks like I’m all set. Now to find someone that can do it. I’m not good at working on cars. Plus landlord says can’t do it here

I got the motor mount, oil pan, oil pick up and flex plate. I can use the stock manifolds off the 318 but really wanna get these headers on. That’s why I’m trying to figure out if it can work and if so what do I need to do to make it possible
Without trying myself, I've heard the 5901 headers have terrible fitment. Somebody here will chime in with 1st hand experience.

I think that's the header I put on my '72. The stock starter fit, had to use a short mopar/ford oil filter without the 90* adapter. Have a picklefork handy for the steering draglink removal. I did go to the local industrial supply and got suitable allen head bolts to replace the bolts in the kit. Don't forget to use sealant on the WET bolt holes.

Almost forgot. You will need a lot of vertical clearance under the car for the install. Plus I had to raise the motor in the chassis a few inches for the driver side, passenger side was pretty easy.

-
Back